It is recommended that you update your Lansweeper installation on a regular basis, to ensure that you have the latest available patches installed and access to any new features that have been released. You can verify whether you have the latest Lansweeper version from the web console and perform an update of a medium sized network in just a few minutes.
To update your Lansweeper installation, do the following:
- Back up your installation.
- Download the latest Lansweeper installer and run it on a machine hosting the Lansweeper Server service, found in Windows Services. If you're not sure which machines are hosting the service, you can find them listed in the Current Version section of this console page: Configuration\Your Lansweeper License
If your Lansweeper database is hosted on a different machine than the Lansweeper service, running the installer on the machine hosting your database is not required. The Lansweeper service will automatically update your database.
- Hit the Next button, hit I agree to accept the license agreement and hit Next again.
- Select the Upgrade option and hit Next. If the Upgrade option is grayed out, that either means that you are not running the latest installer or that you are already using the latest Lansweeper version. If this is the case, you should not proceed further and hit Cancel to close the installer instead.
- The installer will automatically detect the Lansweeper components that require updating. Hit Next to continue.
If your database is hosted in SQL Compact or an Express edition of the SQL Server database server and there is less than 300MB of free database space, the installer will clear the database tables that store Windows event log data, to make room for the Lansweeper update. The Windows event log tables are usually the biggest. SQL Compact and SQL Server Express databases are limited in size by Microsoft.
- You will see your files being updated. The installer will automatically update the Lansweeper service, the Lansweeper database and, if it's hosted on the same machine, the Lansweeper web console. How long the update takes depends on the size of your database.
- When you get to the screen that confirms the successful update of your Lansweeper installation, hit Finish to close the installer.
- If your Lansweeper web console is hosted on a different machine than the Lansweeper service, you will need to run the Lansweeper installer on that machine as well and once again go through the update procedure.
- If the Lansweeper service is hosted on multiple machines, which are all connected to your Lansweeper database, you will either need to run the installer on each machine hosting the service and go through the update procedure each time or use the available installer parameters to silently update the remaining scanning servers at once.