cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cori406
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello - is it possible for a free & total disk space report to include folder detail? For example the top 5 largest folder sizes or at least the largest folder?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
The way I tackle this is have a report that is run once a week for machines below 5GB. That report gets emailed to the helpdesk to look at the machines run the necessary clean up tools etc. Repeat offenders get flagged for review and look at that they are doing, if we need to increase their disk space eg SSD upgrade etc. End of the day most of our stuff has been pushed to the cloud, one drive sync etc. So not really having disk space issues.
cori406
Engaged Sweeper II
Thank you for the suggestions, we also use Tree Size, my boss was just looking for an inclusive report of assets that are showing up with the low hard disk space warning and detail of where the space is being used. I figured I would have to use a different tool or cobble something together.
Hendrik_VE
Champion Sweeper III
We tried something similar like the powershell script above.
Output is sent to an eventlog, which is captured by Lansweeper, but I'm still struggling to get this event in a meaningfull report.
Nevertheless, it's a good option just for troubleshooting disk capacity issues, if you don't have remote access to the system.
RCorbeil
Honored Sweeper II
I wouldn't hold my breath. You're basically asking that LANSweeper do a frequent full disk scan. That would be time-intensive and performance-intrusive.

If you're occasionally interested in space usage on specific Windows machines, you could add SpaceSniffer as a custom action. It's been referenced by others in these forums in the past, e.g. here and here. Someone else uses WinDirStat. (WinDirStat Portable can be found at PortableApps.com)
Andy_Sismey
Champion Sweeper III
Hi Cori,

I don't believe this is possible, but I may be wrong ?

One option would be to create a new action which runs a powershell script to enumerate the folder sizes, something like this (http://www.sqlnuggets.com/blog/using-powershell-to-list-folders-and-sizes/):

$Computername=$args[0]

$startDirectory = "\\" + $Computername + "\c$"

$directoryItems = Get-ChildItem $startDirectory | Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer -eq $true} | Sort-Object

foreach ($i in $directoryItems)
{
$subFolderItems = Get-ChildItem $i.FullName -recurse -force | Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer -eq $false} | Measure-Object -property Length -sum | Select-Object Sum
$i.FullName + " -- " + "{0:N2}" -f ($subFolderItems.sum / 1GB) + " GB"
}

With a new action something like this :

powershell -noprofile -ExecutionPolicy bypass -command //LansweeperServerName/defaultpackageshare$/scripts/script.ps1  {computer}

This will produce something like :

\\PCName\C$\Windows -- 6.4 GB
\\PCName\C$\Temp -- 0.01 GB
\\PCName\C$\PerfLogs -- 0.0 GB