Old Lansweeper releases allowed you to install the Lansweeper web console under the UltiDev web server. As UltiDev has known bugs and performance issues, it is generally recommended that you migrate your web console to IIS or IIS Express if you are still using UltiDev.
To migrate the web console from UltiDev to IIS or IIS Express, do the following:
- Determine which database server is hosting your Lansweeper database by using the ConfigEditor tool. You can follow the instructions in this knowledge base article.
- If your Lansweeper database is hosted in SQL LocalDB or SQL Server and you never configured your own custom database password before, do so now by following the instructions in this knowledge base article.
- If you added any documents, images or widgets to Lansweeper, back up these files. Information on which Website subfolders store which data can be found in this knowledge base article.Do not back up the entire Website folder. Only back up the specific subfolders you need. Backing up and restoring the entire Website folder can lead to issues.
- If it exists, create a backup copy of the following file as well:Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Key\Encryption.txt
- Uninstall UltiDev. There should be an uninstall option in the Start menu of the server hosting your web console.
- Select New installation, hit Next and then select Advanced install
- Tick New Lansweeper Website and, depending on which database server is hosting your database, tick SQL Compact, SQL LocalDB or SQL Server as well. Hit Next afterwards.Do not tick New Lansweeper Database or New Lansweeper Service. If you do, the Lansweeper database and/or service will be reinstalled as well. If you reinstall the database, all your scanned data and settings will be lost.
- If your database is hosted in SQL Server, point the installer to your existing SQL instance and hit Next. You can connect to the instance with the If you install Lansweeper under SQL Server, by performing an Advanced Install, the installer automatically... SQL user and the database password you configured earlier.
- Select the web server you'd like to install the console under. Selecting Recommended will install the web console under IIS Express, selecting Advanced will install the web console under IIS. The Advanced option will only be available if IIS is already enabled on your computer. Instructions for enabling IIS can be found in this knowledge base article. Optionally, you can choose a custom HTTP and (if offered by the installer) HTTPS port to install the web console under. If you don't choose custom ports, the installer will automatically select the first available ports for installation. Hit Next to continue.
- Optionally, you can choose a custom folder to install under. Hit Install to start the installation process. The web console will be installed under the web server of your choice and your preferred ports. It will connect to the existing database server (SQL Compact, SQL LocalDB or SQL Server) specified by you.
- Stop your web server service in Windows Services
- Restore the Website subfolders and Encryption.txt file you created a backup of earlier.Do not restore the entire Website folder. Only restore the specific subfolders you need. Backing up and restoring the entire Website folder can lead to issues.
- If your database is hosted in SQL LocalDB or SQL Server, run the following tool on your Lansweeper server and click through any warnings about your database password being incorrect:Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Tools\ConfigEditor.exe
- As the web console reinstallation will have added a random password to the web console connection string, change the database password in the Website tab to the one you configured earlier, if your database is hosted in SQL LocalDB or SQL Server.
- Restart your web server service in Windows Services. You've now fully migrated from UltiDev to your new web server.