Notification

Icon
Error

lsAgent MSI installer - Make an MSI installer available for lsAgent to deploy via GPO

Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 11:14:09 AM(UTC)
AlexP

AlexP

Member Original PosterPosts: 1
5
Like
One of the reasons we're interested in using lsAgent is for laptop fleets. These laptops don't regularly connect to the office network, so scanning centrally on an interval won't always find them. The cloud relay service solves this problem neatly, however in order to install the lsAgent on the laptops (and update the agent with new releases), it seems the best way is to push the software via GPO. This way, all the laptops will eventually receive the agent the next time the user is in the office. Providing an MSI version of the installer will make it easier for us to deploy the agent automatically via GPO. We'd need MST support to be able to specify the unique relay key / server name / port numbers of course.

Thanks!
ictcafe
#1ictcafe Member Posts: 1  
posted: 9/25/2018 7:00:17 AM(UTC)
We are using Intune with a build MSI from the lsagent.exe. We build the MSI with the free program MSI Wrapper. In the parameter settings we used the settings: --server LAN-001 --port 9524 --agentkey 4c2db649-014a-41f5-a01d-123456abc --mode unattended.
Esben.D
#2Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,768  
posted: 9/25/2018 10:04:24 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ictcafe Go to Quoted Post
We are using Intune with a build MSI from the lsagent.exe. We build the MSI with the free program MSI Wrapper. In the parameter settings we used the settings: --server LAN-001 --port 9524 --agentkey 4c2db649-014a-41f5-a01d-123456abc --mode unattended.


FYI I changed the agent key in your post since I'm not sure how safe it is to publicly post your LsAgent key (better safe than sorry).

Regardless, it's a very innovative way of getting an MSI. I'll try it out myself and document the steps as this might be useful for others.
David Goodwin
#3David Goodwin Member Posts: 3  
posted: 9/25/2018 3:33:54 PM(UTC)
We are using the .exe with the same command line options and it's working perfectly.
Azuroth
#4Azuroth Member Posts: 12  
posted: 11/5/2018 6:10:25 PM(UTC)
Having an MSI would be great. For I'm trying to figure out how to deploy to the 300+ laptops that I have.
Lakatta
#5Lakatta Member Alpha Tester Posts: 19  
posted: 11/6/2018 10:17:54 PM(UTC)
We created the msi using https://www.exemsi.com. Another product we are using had instructions for creating the msi using the free version. So, we just tried it for the lsagent and it worked. We use it for the laptops we do not have on site.

GulfMarco
#6GulfMarco Member Posts: 7  
posted: 11/30/2018 3:05:38 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Charles.X Go to Quoted Post

Regardless, it's a very innovative way of getting an MSI. I'll try it out myself and document the steps as this might be useful for others.


Charles - have you had a chance to go through this and document/write up?
Seems to work pretty well...
Esben.D
#7Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,768  
posted: 1/29/2019 3:39:02 PM(UTC)
I'll try and get to it, but it won't be an official KB article since it's not officially in Lansweeper or supported. From what I can see its not too difficult but I haven't had the time to experiment with it yet.
Cripple.Zero
#8Cripple.Zero Member Posts: 17  
posted: 3/19/2019 4:04:45 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: AlexP Go to Quoted Post
One of the reasons we're interested in using lsAgent is for laptop fleets. These laptops don't regularly connect to the office network, so scanning centrally on an interval won't always find them. The cloud relay service solves this problem neatly, however in order to install the lsAgent on the laptops (and update the agent with new releases), it seems the best way is to push the software via GPO. This way, all the laptops will eventually receive the agent the next time the user is in the office. Providing an MSI version of the installer will make it easier for us to deploy the agent automatically via GPO. We'd need MST support to be able to specify the unique relay key / server name / port numbers of course.

Thanks!


+1000 to this. We are working on expanding asset management globally and having an MSI to deploy via GPO would be a tremendous help vs. going to each PC and installing manually.
Sandro
#9Sandro Member Posts: 2  
posted: 7/15/2019 10:52:39 AM(UTC)
UP!

Active Discussions

Lansweeper how to add windows and office licenses manually.
by  cesar.ti   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 8/23/2019 7:32:10 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper User roles and permissions
by  RKCar  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 8/23/2019 6:23:38 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Deployment condition
by  RKCar   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 8/23/2019 4:07:30 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper HP Printer not showing correctly
by  JacobH  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 8/23/2019 1:32:54 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Moving Assets in Location not Saving
by  brodiemac   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 8/23/2019 12:23:04 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Scanning includes IOS devices even though I exclude them??
by  steveb  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 8/22/2019 11:05:33 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper lsagent not scanning/sending when using relay
by  Esben.D   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 8/19/2019 12:31:02 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Check if Netbios is disabled over TCP/IP
by  TaherMD  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 8/19/2019 6:00:51 AM(UTC)