Notification

Icon
Error

How EXACTLY Does LS Count Assets? - Reaching license limit, I'm trying to whittle down unnecessary scanning

Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 2:45:52 PM(UTC)
Cripple.Zero

Cripple.Zero

Member Original PosterPosts: 16
I received a notification that my scanning license asset limit is currently at 95%. So I am beginning the daunting task of trying to find where assets are being counted, if there are any duplicates, whether I can exclude them, etc.

How does LS ACTUALLY count assets? I've added the numbers up in different reports - Asset Count from Dashboard, IP ranged reports and Location-based reports - and nothing is coming close to the number my scanning server is reporting. The website is pretty vague on description - it boils down to saying "it counts everything but monitors", which really isn't very helpful.

Will the software actually OBEY the exclusion list? I have a few subnets excluded on our network (we have PLC/HMI devices in our manufacturing plant that aren't IT devices, but require a network interface to function) and I have also excluded the random devices like IOS, Android, iPad, iPod ....etc. Doing this has only knocked down my count by a small handful.

What ELSE should I be looking for? Is there some sort of report (other than that of the license page) that can breakdown or break out what is being counted?

I apologize if I placed this in the wrong location, the General Questions area - it wasn't meant to be a 'report' question, but mostly a query to you all as to what else I should be looking for to bring down my asset count.....
rasldasl
#1rasldasl Member Posts: 11  
posted: 6/12/2019 3:06:38 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Cripple.Zero Go to Quoted Post
I received a notification that my scanning license asset limit is currently at 95%. So I am beginning the daunting task of trying to find where assets are being counted, if there are any duplicates, whether I can exclude them, etc.

How does LS ACTUALLY count assets? I've added the numbers up in different reports - Asset Count from Dashboard, IP ranged reports and Location-based reports - and nothing is coming close to the number my scanning server is reporting. The website is pretty vague on description - it boils down to saying "it counts everything but monitors", which really isn't very helpful.

Will the software actually OBEY the exclusion list? I have a few subnets excluded on our network (we have PLC/HMI devices in our manufacturing plant that aren't IT devices, but require a network interface to function) and I have also excluded the random devices like IOS, Android, iPad, iPod ....etc. Doing this has only knocked down my count by a small handful.

What ELSE should I be looking for? Is there some sort of report (other than that of the license page) that can breakdown or break out what is being counted?

I apologize if I placed this in the wrong location, the General Questions area - it wasn't meant to be a 'report' question, but mostly a query to you all as to what else I should be looking for to bring down my asset count.....

We have only Windows computers and monitors. Monitors are not counted. My license count is essentially the "All Assets" report filtered on Type "windows".
Esben.D
#2Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,740  
posted: 6/14/2019 8:09:15 AM(UTC)
All assets except monitors are counted. This includes manually created assets, location maps. The easiest way of looking at it is just going to the Assets tab. Everything on that page (except monitors again) counts.
vqT4cDoP9iXyMZwoDUWU
#3vqT4cDoP9iXyMZwoDUWU Member Posts: 11  
posted: 6/14/2019 1:29:39 PM(UTC)
It's also worth noting, in the current Lansweeper version it seems to be unable to correctly identify and link multiple network interfaces associated with the same asset.

So a laptop may be discovered and counted as an asset on it's wired connection, then discovered and counted again if it appears on wifi. Or a server with multiple NICs will be duplicated and counted multiple times, once for each MAC.

This was less of an issue with the old unlimited scanning licensing model, but since Lansweeper updated their pricing to "assets", they really need to develop a better mechanism to prevent multiples of the same asset/serial number from counting against the overall total.
Esben.D
#4Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,740  
posted: 6/19/2019 9:32:52 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: vqT4cDoP9iXyMZwoDUWU Go to Quoted Post
It's also worth noting, in the current Lansweeper version it seems to be unable to correctly identify and link multiple network interfaces associated with the same asset.

So a laptop may be discovered and counted as an asset on it's wired connection, then discovered and counted again if it appears on wifi. Or a server with multiple NICs will be duplicated and counted multiple times, once for each MAC.

This was less of an issue with the old unlimited scanning licensing model, but since Lansweeper updated their pricing to "assets", they really need to develop a better mechanism to prevent multiples of the same asset/serial number from counting against the overall total.

Windows Computers and servers do not use MAC address as a unique identifier specifically for that reason. This KB article explains how identification is handled: https://www.lansweeper.c...quely-identifies-assets/
vqT4cDoP9iXyMZwoDUWU
#5vqT4cDoP9iXyMZwoDUWU Member Posts: 11  
posted: 6/26/2019 10:14:48 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Esben.D Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: vqT4cDoP9iXyMZwoDUWU Go to Quoted Post

Windows Computers and servers do not use MAC address as a unique identifier specifically for that reason. This KB article explains how identification is handled: https://www.lansweeper.c...quely-identifies-assets/

In our case the first instance of the asset is identified as a Windows asset and uses the unique key domain\machinename\1, the subsequent duplicates are created as type Network device with a unique key x.x.x.x\1 where x.x.x.x is another IP address where the machine has been seen by Lansweeper.
Esben.D
#6Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,740  
posted: 6/28/2019 9:27:43 AM(UTC)
Strange, did you contact support to let them have a look? With some debug options they could get a better look as to why those IP addresses are not seen as part of the Windows machine.

Active Discussions

Lansweeper Getting only the first Owner of an Asset
by  ToMonkey   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 3:45:30 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Report of assets names behind switches/routers
by  dsimonspan  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 3:05:09 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Help Desk: Top 10 users submitting tickets
by  LGuth   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 1:38:08 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper non-active computer report