cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brians
Engaged Sweeper II

Background: Corporate environment, 300 PCs(laptops/desktops), Active Directory. We join PCs to the domain and some we send out and they hardly ever connect to our network or rarely VPN in. Like most people using this software in a corporate environment, it needs to be set up in a secure way.

Specifics:

1) Where to place the LSPush.exe so updating it can be easy(centrally managed) and safely accessible from outside the network for remote PCs to run.(DCs, how?)

2) How to create a script or policy and how to push it to all PCs(off or on the corporate network) that will run(LSPush.exe) every time someone logs onto the PC.

3) How to set it up so that PCs currently off the corporate network can send the info into the LS server securely.

I have read what I can find and have found no clear instruction on how to set this up(if it is even possible).

I am sure there are more questions I need to ask or answer, but I don't know what those are.

Thanks for any direction.
~B

17 REPLIES 17
Glennbullion
Engaged Sweeper
I know this is more of an "Advanced Installer" question, and less of a "Lansweeper" issue, but I'm playing with it now.

It seems for Schedule Tasks, you need the Enterprise edition? You were able to create an MSI with LSPush, and Schedule Tasks, with the freeware?

If Lansweeper devs see these posts, this is really something that should be baseline in Lansweeper. You should be able to "install" an agent on a remote machine, and have it scanned when you wish. Not have to worry about pushing out LSPush through whatever method, set up tasks, upgrades, etc.
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
Glennbullion wrote:
I know this is more of an "Advanced Installer" question, and less of a "Lansweeper" issue, but I'm playing with it now.

It seems for Schedule Tasks, you need the Enterprise edition? You were able to create an MSI with LSPush, and Schedule Tasks, with the freeware?

If Lansweeper devs see these posts, this is really something that should be baseline in Lansweeper. You should be able to "install" an agent on a remote machine, and have it scanned when you wish. Not have to worry about pushing out LSPush through whatever method, set up tasks, upgrades, etc.

create task locally on PC and export to XML then edit and run cmd to import during install

schtasks.exe /Create /TN "Task Name" /xml "TaskXMLFile.xml" /F

also create delete task when you uninstall the package..
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
I used Advance Installer (Free) to make .msi and created multiple triggers inside task scheduler.. one trigger after someone logs onto pc.. and other when IP changes.. (you can find resource on the net how to set these up)

Glennbullion
Engaged Sweeper
Looking for some more info on this as well. Did you create the MSI through Lansweeper? Or use something else?
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
here is what we did on our site..

I've created .MSI installation package that each asset, it gets installed and allows me track version and has visibility of LSPUSH.exe and who needs it.. (i setup after scanning deployment package with dynamic groups)

MSI install loads the program and setups 2 triggers in tasks, one on reboot with 15min delay and one on logon with 15min delay.. So every time someone log's onto pc it runs lspush.exe and sends the info to servers that has DNS externally and internally mapped to our lansweeper server.. thru firewall and natting we are routing WAN requests to our internal server (which takes care of the travelers and remote users) and our iternal DNS has our internal lansweeper IP so assets while they are in the network don't use the WAN route..

I prefer MSI installs for management because I can also setup firewall ports exclusions and run vb or powershell scripts and get the PC ready for transmission.
GulfMarco
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi Peter -
Could you share some more of the details of the script, and how you're verifying the version back to HQ.

Thanks,
Marco
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
GulfMarco wrote:
Hi Peter -
Could you share some more of the details of the script, and how you're verifying the version back to HQ.

Thanks,
Marco

The MSI install registers software version and software name and you can use dynamic groups and "After Scan" deployment to do versioning management. For example after MSI install of prepackaged LSPUSH.exe that is dumped into windows\LSPUSH directory and registers LSPUSH taks (by running XML import of the task thru command line) that has 2 triggers.. daily scan and 15min delay after logon..

The lspush.exe versioning correlates to the MSI software version number.. in example of LSPUSH version 6.0.100.23 our MSI version number is matched with 6.0.10023 and so forth.. choice is yours..
ChadMountain
Engaged Sweeper
Could try this:

1) Copy LSPush locally to each PC
2) Scheduled task in Windows set to run on logon
3) Run LSPush in the scheduled task to write to a file (run Lspush.exe /file) then either have this copy to some secure internet facing storage you have, or have the user email it in?