cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spino
Engaged Sweeper
hello,
while scanning a server, part of an AD domain, I get "Registry access denied".
This happens also with the service running as a domain administrator.
Using regedit on the server, checked that domain admins do have full control permission over each registry branch.
Is there any way, or any useful information, to identify what registry leaf was denied access to?
thanks
15 REPLIES 15
TomOrff
Engaged Sweeper
Has there been a resolution to this problem? We are having the very same issue.

We have several hundred Windows 2000 and XP machines (and 4 Vista machines) and don't have any problems with the 2000 Professional, 2000 Server or Vista machines connecting and getting the info from them into LanSweeper. The XP and server 2003 machines are a different story). I get the error that "Requested registry access is not allowed" and nothing other than the domain name and username are read.

When running the LSClient command, the connection is successful on ALL machines, but the registry access error has me puzzled.

I too have the service running with the domain administrator account, which does have full access on all domain machines.

Here is a question.

Exactly which registry entries does the client or server service try to access? I am thinking that there may be something in the domain configuration that has removed access from certain registry keys on a domain-wide level, but only registry entries that are native to XP/2003 since the 2000 and Vista machines seem to be unaffected.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
TomOrff wrote:

We have several hundred Windows 2000 and XP machines (and 4 Vista machines) and don't have any problems with the 2000 Professional, 2000 Server or Vista machines connecting and getting the info from them into LanSweeper. The XP and server 2003 machines are a different story). I get the error that "Requested registry access is not allowed" and nothing other than the domain name and username are read.

When running the LSClient command, the connection is successful on ALL machines, but the registry access error has me puzzled.

I too have the service running with the domain administrator account, which does have full access on all domain machines.

Here is a question.

Exactly which registry entries does the client or server service try to access? I am thinking that there may be something in the domain configuration that has removed access from certain registry keys on a domain-wide level, but only registry entries that are native to XP/2003 since the 2000 and Vista machines seem to be unaffected.

Hi seem to be having a different problem.
The other people didn't get an error. You get the error : "Requested registry access is not allowed"

When you try the connection tester to these machines, do you get the same error?
TomOrff
Engaged Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:
TomOrff wrote:

Here is a question.

Hi seem to be having a different problem.
The other people didn't get an error. You get the error : "Requested registry access is not allowed"

When you try the connection tester to these machines, do you get the same error?

Yes. Here is what I see.

Ping test OK
-----------------------------------------------
Remote registry test FAILED
Requested registry access is not allowed.
Remote WMI access test OK
Remote \\172.31.172.16\c$ access test OK

This is the largest of the problems. I did see a few other "Reverse lookup failed " errors, but I figure they are because of DHCP/DNS not accepting dynamic updates (I'm going to fix that error), but I'm also afraid that once fixed, I'll see the registry access error like the majority of them (we use a mix of dhcp and static addresses).

TOM
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Do you get this behaviour on only one workstation/server?
(I've run out of ideas and I haven't seen this problem before)
tuvita
Engaged Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:
Do you get this behaviour on only one workstation/server?
(I've run out of ideas and I haven't seen this problem before)

yes, only one.
never mind,though. thanks
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Could you post the .pml export file of your process monitor please. (while filtering that only lansweeper30.exe is included)
tuvita
Engaged Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:
Could you post the .pml export file of your process monitor please. (while filtering that only lansweeper30.exe is included)
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Could you post a screenshot of the error please.
Did you changed something to gather specific registry keys?
tuvita
Engaged Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:
Could you post a screenshot of the error please.
Did you changed something to gather specific registry keys?

no, default lansweeper settings.