cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
motoxrdr21
Engaged Sweeper
After a 30 day trial we just purchased a license for Pro last week, so I'm still going through and adding details to all of our assets. I noticed that the scanner is duplicating monitors, so far monitors appear to be the only affected asset type.

I went through the list of monitors that the scanner detected, renamed the assets & added additional details like our tag number, date of purchase, associated user, things of that nature. I did not delete the initially detected assets, and I left the asset associations & serial numbers alone because they were correct, but the next time the scan ran it re-created the monitors under their original asset names leaving the newly renamed ones untouched.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Thank you for purchasing! Some tips in regards to the issue you're having:
  • Make sure you are running the latest Lansweeper release, 5.3.0.34. Update instructions can be found here.
  • Make sure the unique key (internal ID) of the monitor doesn't change as you're editing. You can see the unique key listed at the top of the page when you hit Edit Asset. The monitor manufacturer and serial are used to compose the unique key.

I do notice that in some cases the unique key uses the manufacturer as stored in the client machine's registry (e.g. "DEL"), while the manufacturer field is set to a more readable manufacturer name (e.g. "Dell Inc."). If you edit the monitor under these circumstances, its unique key will change to include the more readable manufacturer name, resulting in duplicates upon rescanning.

If this is what is happening in your case, edit the manufacturer field to prevent this behavior, using the manufacturer name seen in the unique key. If the unique key of your monitor is Mon:DEL:XXXXX for instance, make sure the manufacturer field is set to DEL and the serial number field to XXXXX. Otherwise, the unique key will change upon saving. I've asked development to take a look at this issue as well, so manually adjusting the manufacturer field won't be necessary in the future.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
emarroyo
Engaged Sweeper III
Thanks Susan,
I think we have it figured out. I replied to another post of yors as well. We are looking to use our service tag#s as serial numbers and asset tag numbers. I turned off asset scanning of monitors and I am now using my information with out Lansweeper reverting them back to the internal info a monitor has.
emarroyo
Engaged Sweeper III
So changing Dell Inc. to simply DELL will allow me to use my own serial keys (as i uploaded using true asset tags from dell) in Lansweeper? Currently on a re-scan it reverts back to original info, but i want to associate it with what I uploaded instead.

Which leads can I associate another monitor serial number/asset that I import or do i have to edit the one generated by Lansweeper?
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
emarroyo wrote:
So changing Dell Inc. to simply DELL will allow me to use my own serial keys (as i uploaded using true asset tags from dell) in Lansweeper? Currently on a re-scan it reverts back to original info, but i want to associate it with what I uploaded instead.

Which leads can I associate another monitor serial number/asset that I import or do i have to edit the one generated by Lansweeper?

A scanned monitor's serial is part of its internal monitor ID. If you change the monitor serial, the monitor will be duplicated upon rescanning. You either need to edit scanned monitors and leave the manufacturer and serial fields set to the values seen in the internal monitor IDs or disable scanning of the monitor asset type under Configuration\Scanning Methods and only use your manually created monitor assets, which you manually link to the correct computers.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Thank you for purchasing! Some tips in regards to the issue you're having:
  • Make sure you are running the latest Lansweeper release, 5.3.0.34. Update instructions can be found here.
  • Make sure the unique key (internal ID) of the monitor doesn't change as you're editing. You can see the unique key listed at the top of the page when you hit Edit Asset. The monitor manufacturer and serial are used to compose the unique key.

I do notice that in some cases the unique key uses the manufacturer as stored in the client machine's registry (e.g. "DEL"), while the manufacturer field is set to a more readable manufacturer name (e.g. "Dell Inc."). If you edit the monitor under these circumstances, its unique key will change to include the more readable manufacturer name, resulting in duplicates upon rescanning.

If this is what is happening in your case, edit the manufacturer field to prevent this behavior, using the manufacturer name seen in the unique key. If the unique key of your monitor is Mon:DEL:XXXXX for instance, make sure the manufacturer field is set to DEL and the serial number field to XXXXX. Otherwise, the unique key will change upon saving. I've asked development to take a look at this issue as well, so manually adjusting the manufacturer field won't be necessary in the future.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now