Fortinet has released security updates for several versions of FortiOS and FortiProxy in response to a critical buffer underwrite vulnerability. The issue could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code or perform a denial of service on the GUI. These could in turn compromise business-critical data or seriously disrupt operations.
Fortinet Vulnerability CVE-2023-25610
The vulnerability tracked as CVE-2023-25610 is a buffer underwrite vulnerability in the administrative interface on multiple versions of FortiOS and FortyProxy. It has a CVSSv3 score of 9.3 which gives it a critical severity. So far there are no reports of the issue being exploited in the wild. Successful exploitation of CVE-2023-25610 could allow a remote unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code and perform a denial of service (DoS) on the GUI.
Protect Vulnerable Fortinet Devices
CVE-2023-25610 affects several different versions of FortiOS and FortiProxy. However, not all devices are equally vulnerable. All devices running the vulnerable FortiOS are at risk of DoS, but not all of them are impacted by the arbitrary code execution part of the issue. You can find a full list of devices that are only affected by the DoS issue in Fortinet's security advisory.
Either way, you should update all vulnerable instances of FortiOS and FortiProxy as soon as possible, in order to protect your devices from attackers. You can find a list of all affected and updated versions below. If you are unable to update right away, Fortinet's advisory also provides a workaround you can use for now.
- FortiOS version 7.2.0 through 7.2.3
- FortiOS version 7.0.0 through 7.0.9
- FortiOS version 6.4.0 through 6.4.11
- FortiOS version 6.2.0 through 6.2.12
- FortiOS 6.0 all versions
- FortiProxy version 7.2.0 through 7.2.2
- FortiProxy version 7.0.0 through 7.0.8
- FortiProxy version 2.0.0 through 2.0.11
- FortiProxy 1.2 all versions
- FortiProxy 1.1 all versions
- FortiOS version 7.4.0 or above
- FortiOS version 7.2.4 or above
- FortiOS version 7.0.10 or above
- FortiOS version 6.4.12 or above
- FortiOS version 6.2.13 or above
- FortiProxy version 7.2.3 or above
- FortiProxy version 7.0.9 or above
- FortiProxy version 2.0.12 or above
- FortiOS-6K7K version 7.0.10 or above
- FortiOS-6K7K version 6.4.12 or above
- FortiOS-6K7K version 6.2.13 or above
Discover Vulnerable Fortinet Devices
Based on Fortinet's advisory, our team has created a special report to help you find any Fortinet devices in your network that may be vulnerable to the vulnerability described above. The report will give you an actionable list of devices that may still need to be updated.