Monitoring the free space on your hard disks is an essential activity as a network administrator. Computer hard drives are getting bigger and bigger, and there's lots of stuff you can hold on to. To avoid performance issues and the unpleasant message telling you that there is not enough free disk space to save, copy or paste something, one can only acknowledge the importance of monitoring your hard disk's free space.
Did you know? We like an interesting network statistic now and then. Following other posts in our #DiscoverIT series like the longest running device uptime without a reboot or this post about finding that dinosaur device in your network, we now present you a 'total sum' report. Don't you want to know what's the total amount of free disk space in your network? Just run the report below and in a matter of seconds, you'll know how many terabytes of free disk space you have.
How To Run This Report
- Open the report builder in the Lansweeper web console under Reports/Create New Report.
- Paste the SQL query (report) below at the bottom of the page, replacing the default SQL query.
- Left-click somewhere in the upper section of the page so the query applies.
- Give the report a title.
- Hit the Save & Run button to save the report. Export options are listed on the left.
Select Top 1000000 (Windows.TotalWindows + SSH.TotalLinux) As TotalFreeSpaceTB
From (Select Top 1000000 Sum(Cast(Cast(tblDiskdrives.Freespace As bigint) /
1024 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 As numeric)) As TotalWindows
Inner Join tblDiskdrives On tblAssets.AssetID = tblDiskdrives.AssetID)
(Select Top 1000000 Sum(Cast(Cast(tblLinuxHardDisks.Available As bigint) /
1024 / 1024 / 1024 As numeric)) As TotalLinux
Inner Join tblAssets On tblAssets.AssetID = tblLinuxHardDisks.AssetID)
Now that you know this appealing network statistic, it's time to dig a little deeper. Using the built-in disk space reports, you can proactively manage your servers and workstations which are about to run out of disk space. Below, you can find some of our built-in disk reports. You can easily edit these reports according to your specific network needs or browse through the report center on our forum for additional reports.
- Windows: Servers less than 10% free disk space
- Windows: Servers less than 10GB free disk space
- Windows: Servers less than 5GB free disk space
- Windows: Workstations less than 10% free disk space
- Windows: Workstations less than 10GB free disk space
- Windows: Workstations less than 5GB free disk space
- Windows: Disk space with color code
- Disk: Servers less than 1GB free HD
- Disk: Workstations less than 1GB free HD
If you haven't already, download a free trial of Lansweeper to run the report and check how many terabytes of free disk space you have available across your network.