VMware servers can be scanned directly with a read-only credential to the server or indirectly through their vCenter server. To scan an ESX(i) server directly, you need to set up a user with read-only access to the server.
To set up a user with read-only access to your server, do the following:
- Log into your VMware server's vSphere Client.
- Select your VMware server on the left, right-click within the Local Users & Groups tab and select Add...
- Submit your preferred username in the upper two input boxes of the resulting popup, your preferred password in the lower two input boxes and hit OK.
- Right-click within the Permissions tab and select Add Permission...
- In the resulting popup, select the read-only role and hit the Add... button.
- Select the user you created earlier, hit Add and then OK twice.
- Your account should now be ready for use. You can then start scanning the VMware server by following the instructions in this knowledge base article.