VMware servers can be scanned directly with a read-only credential to the server or indirectly through their vCenter server. To scan a VMware ESX(i) server directly, certain scanning requirements must be met. This article explains how you can scan a VMware server directly by setting up a user with read-only access to the server.
To set up a user with read-only access to your server, do the following:
- Log into your VMware server's vSphere Client.
- Select your VMware server on the left, right-click within the Local Users & Groups tab and select Add...
- Submit your preferred username in the upper two input boxes of the resulting popup, your preferred password in the lower two input boxes and hit OK.
- Right-click within the Permissions tab and select Add Permission...
- In the resulting popup, select the read-only role and hit the Add... button.
- Select the user you created earlier, hit Add and then OK twice.
- Your account should now be ready for use and you now meet the VMware scanning requirements. You can start scanning the VMware server by following the instructions in this knowledge base article.