Some Lansweeper licenses allow you to use multiple Windows computers to scan and deploy changes in your network. The machines scanning and deploying in your network, so-called "scanning servers", have just the Lansweeper Server service installed and push data to a central Lansweeper database. Each scanning server can be configured separately.
Having multiple scanning servers is recommended if you have several thousand assets or remote sites connected through TCP/IP or VPN connections. A multi scanning server setup allows for more efficient load balancing, as the scanning load, deployment requests and network traffic are divided among multiple machines.
To set up a multi scanning server Lansweeper installation, do the following:
- Perform an Advanced Install of the Lansweeper software (database, service, web console) by following the steps in this knowledge base article and make sure you select SQL Server as your database server. SQL Compact doesn't allow services to remotely connect to the database, so this database server cannot be used for multi scanning server setups. You can move your database from SQL Compact to SQL Server by following the instructions in this knowledge base article.
- Make sure your SQL Server instance is correctly configured to accept connections from remote machines. Instructions for correctly configuring your SQL Server instance can be found in this knowledge base article.
- Configure your own custom database password to replace the random password generated by the Lansweeper installer, by following the instructions in this knowledge base article.
- Run the Lansweeper installer on a Windows computer you want to configure as a secondary scanning server. Make sure the secondary server doesn't have the same name as another one of your scanning servers. Having multiple servers with the same name is not supported.
- Hit the Next button and hit I agree to accept the license agreement.
- Select the Advanced install option and configure the installer as shown below, ticking just SQL Server and New Lansweeper Service. Hit Next to continue.
- Submit the name of the SQL instance your existing Lansweeper database is installed under.
- Select the authentication method you want to use to connect to SQL Server from the Authentication dropdown. You can choose Windows or SQL authentication. You could actually use the built-in lansweeperuser SQL user and the custom database password you configured earlier to perform the scanning server installation. Hit Next to continue.
- Optionally, you can choose a custom folder to install under. Hit Install to start the installation process.- The Lansweeper service will be installed under Windows Services and will connect to the Lansweeper database you've specified.
- When you get to the screen that confirms the successful installation of Lansweeper, hit Finish to close the installer.
- Stop the Lansweeper Server service in Windows Services on your new scanning server.
- If you installed Lansweeper 6.0 or a more recent Lansweeper release, copy the file below from the machine hosting the web console to the new scanning server, replacing the default file generated on the server. The Encryption.txt file is a key used to encrypt and decrypt credentials submitted in Lansweeper and must be the same on all servers hosting a Lansweeper component. If you spread out components over several machines, each server will have a unique file by default and you'll need to manually copy one of the files to all servers, so the encryption key is the same on all servers.Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Key\Encryption.txt
- Run the following tool on your new server and click through any warnings about your database password being incorrect:Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Tools\ConfigEditor.exe
- As the scanning server installation will have added a random password to the service's connection string, change the database password in the Service tab to the one you configured earlier.
- Restart the Lansweeper Server service in Windows Services on the new server.
- Repeat steps 4 to 15 of this article for any additional scanning servers you want to configure.
- Once installed, each server can be configured separately. In the Scanning\Scanning Targets section of the Lansweeper web console for instance, there is a separate configuration tab for each scanning server, so each server can be configured to scan its own specific network segments. Several other menus have server-specific tabs as well.