Asset Group, Asset Type and Report are agentless, scheduled scanning targets that rescan assets already in your database, assets in any asset group, report or of any asset type specified by you. These scanning targets are suitable for rescanning Linux, Unix, Mac and Windows computers, VMware servers and other network devices.
You can submit an unlimited number of Asset Group, Asset Type and Report targets for scanning and specify a separate scanning schedule for each. To submit a target like this for scanning, hit the Add Scanning Target button in the following section of the web console and choose the Asset Group, Asset Type or Report scanning type in the resulting popup: Scanning\Scanning Targets. If you have multiple scanning servers, there will be multiple configuration tabs on the Scanning Targets page, one for each server.
Asset Group, Asset Type and Report settings
Below is an overview of available options and settings for Asset Group, Asset Type and Report scanning targets. Each scanning target can be configured differently.
- Asset Group, Asset Type or Report: depending on which scanning type you chose, name of the asset group, asset type or report that should be rescanned. Asset Group can be any built-in or custom static or dynamic group, Asset Type any asset type configured under Configuration\Asset Mapping and Report any asset report found in the Reports tab of the web console.To submit a custom report for rescanning, make sure your report includes the AssetID field of the tblAssets database table. If it doesn't, it will not be considered an asset report and you will not be able to see or select it in the Report dropdown.
- Description: custom description you can assign to the scanning target.
- Schedule: determines when the scanning target will be scanned, either at a scheduled time on certain days of the week or recurring every X number of hours or minutes.
- Use DNS name: if checked, Lansweeper will connect to your non-Windows devices' DNS names instead of their IP addresses. This is useful if you have devices that frequently change IP.This setting only affects non-Windows assets. Windows computers are always scanned based on computer name by Asset Group, Asset Type and Report targets, never based on IP address.
- Enable: check/uncheck this box to enable/disable scanning of the scanning target.