This article lists Lansweeper installation requirements. The Windows computer you install Lansweeper on must meet the requirements listed below.
32-bit or 64-bit, x86 or x64 architecture.
Virtual or physical
You can install the Lansweeper software on either a virtual or physical computer.
You can install the Lansweeper software on non-Home, non-Core and non-Starter editions of any of the operating systems listed below. A Windows Server OS is recommended for networks of more than 1,000 assets, though not strictly required.
- Windows 7, SP1
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10 1607, or higher
- Windows 11
- Windows Server 2008 R2, SP1
For Windows Server 2008 R2, hotfix KB2401588 may be required in addition to SP1.
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2022
Lansweeper data, reports and settings are stored in a database. Your database is hosted in either the Microsoft SQL LocalDB, Microsoft SQL Server or (deprecated) Microsoft SQL Compact database server. The size of your database can vary greatly depending on how much data you're scanning and how much history you're keeping. However, as a general rule, we recommend reserving 1GB of disk space per 1,000 Windows computers. Non-Windows machines have less of an impact on database size.
The database servers below are supported for hosting the Lansweeper database. Only SQL Server versions installed on a Microsoft Windows operating system are supported.
- Microsoft SQL LocalDB
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008, any edition (Express, Standard, Enterprise...)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, any edition (Express, Standard, Enterprise...)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012, any edition (Express, Standard, Enterprise...)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014, any edition (Express, Standard, Enterprise...)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016, any edition (Express, Standard, Enterprise...)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2017, any edition (Express, Standard, Enterprise...)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2019, any edition (Express, Standard, Enterprise...)
|Database server||Packaged with Lansweeper||Max database size||Support for distributed Lansweeper components||Support for multiple scanning servers||Lansweeper support status|
|SQL Compact||✔||4GB||✘||✘||unsupported from March 2020 onward|
|SQL LocalDB||✔||10GB||✘||✘||supported database server|
(manual install required prior to installing Lansweeper)
|• 4GB (free Express editions lower than 2008 R2)|
• 10GB (free Express edition 2008 R2 or higher)
• unlimited (other editions)
|✔||✔||supported database server|
Lansweeper has a web interface, which can be viewed in a web browser locally from the Lansweeper server or remotely from other machines. Below is a list of officially supported browsers for interface viewing. Browsers not listed below may work as well, especially if they're Chromium-based. However, unsupported browsers have not been tested for possible layout issues and may not be able to run asset or user actions.
- Google Chrome, updated to the latest version
- Mozilla Firefox, updated to the latest version
- Opera, updated to the latest version
- Microsoft Edge, updated to the latest (Chromium-based) version
Other installed software
- The computer you install Lansweeper on must have .NET Framework 4.8 or a more recent .NET version installed, updated to the latest service pack.
- The computer you install Lansweeper on must have Windows Installer 2.0, but this should come pre-installed with your operating system.
- If you are running an old Lansweeper version and chose SQL Compact as your database server, Visual C++ 2012 is required on your Lansweeper server as well. SQL Compact is no longer supported or offered as a database server option for Lansweeper. If you are still using SQL Compact as your Lansweeper database server, you should convert your database to SQL LocalDB or SQL Server.