Lansweeper data, reports and settings are stored in a database, which is hosted in either Microsoft SQL Compact or Microsoft SQL Server. If you perform an Easy Install, your database is by default hosted in SQL Compact. If you perform an Advanced Install, your database can be hosted in SQL Compact or SQL Server. Though Lansweeper has a built-in report builder and a built-in tool for running database scripts, you may at some point want to connect to your database using an external tool. To connect to SQL Server databases, Microsoft's SQL Server Management Studio can be used. To connect to a SQL Compact database, SQL Compact Toolbox can be used.
This article explains how to view the raw data in your SQL Compact database using SQL Compact Toolbox. If you are unsure which database server you are using, browse to the following section of the web console: Configuration\Your Lansweeper License
• Reports can be run in the Lansweeper web console under Reports\Create New Report.
• Scripts can be run in the following tool on your Lansweeper server, though you should generally only run scripts if requested by the Lansweeper support team: Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Tools\DatabaseMaintenance.exe.
To connect to a SQL Compact database using SQL Compact Toolbox, do the following:
- Download SQL Compact 4.0 SP1 through this download link and install it on your Lansweeper server.Don't skip this step! SQL Compact must be installed as a separate software on your Lansweeper server in order to connect to your database with the SQL Compact Toolbox later on.
- Download the Standalone 4.0 daily build of SQL Compact Toolbox through this download link and unzip the file.SQL Compact Toolbox is a third-party tool. The Lansweeper support team cannot troubleshoot potential issues with this tool.
- Run the Toolbox executable as an administrator on your Lansweeper server.
- Right-click No SQL Server Compact Data Connections found and choose Add SQL Server Compact 4.0 Connection...
- Hit the Browse... button in the resulting popup and select your Lansweeper database file. The default path of the file is:Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\SQLData\lansweeperdb.sdf
- Hit the Close button at the bottom of the popup window.
- Expand the Lansweeper database so you can view and query database tables.