cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vince1098
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello

Whenever I'm trying to deploy an executable on clients per Lansweeper deployment, I receive an "incorrect function" Error in the Deployment Logs.

The step is just "<path to exe>\program.exe". It neither works with local paths like %windir% nor with UNC paths.
When I go to the client I tried to deploy it on, I see these errors in the Windows Event Viewer:

(see attached images)

So I'm pretty sure it's not a permission error, since every other deployment, even those that require admin elevation, run fine with the same credentials.

It sais "FileNotFoundException". Is there a reason why in the error log it sais Faulting application path: C:\Users\VINCEN~1.BEY\AppData\Local\Temp\MW-ae47b2b4-1c52-4fbc-a727-164e1d26ae23\files\GooseDesktop.exe
?
The username in this path is altered (it should say vincent.beyer), and why is it even executing from the Temp path instead of the one I gave in the command deployment field?

Thanks for your help!
5 REPLIES 5
prighi61
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi vinci, are you aware that you cannot execute an application that require a Windows user interface in a "batch" remote environment?
prighi61
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi vincet1098, maybe the executable needs an assembly (or another type of file) that is not present on the target pc. Have you tried to run it manually on the target pc?
vince1098
Engaged Sweeper II
prighi61 wrote:
Hi vincet1098, maybe the executable needs an assembly (or another type of file) that is not present on the target pc. Have you tried to run it manually on the target pc?

Hello prighi61, thanks for your quick answer. Yes, running it manually with the same command on the machine works fine. I also tried embedding the command (which is just the path because it's just an .exe) in double qoutes ("path"), single quotes ('path') as well as no quotes, just in case Windows makes a difference between german and english OS.
prighi61
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi vince1098,

I searched for the Desktop Goose "gadget" and found a 7zip SFX desktop-goose-0-3.exe.
Running it you extract the files (executable, dlls, and config file) needed to run the gadget.
I don't understand whether you want to install it from the SFX or want to make the extracted application auto-start on the remote pc when the user logs on.
In the latter case you shouldn't execute the application, but add it to an autostart mechanisms (Run registry or Startup menu folder).

vince1098
Engaged Sweeper II
prighi61 wrote:
Hi vince1098,

I searched for the Desktop Goose "gadget" and found a 7zip SFX desktop-goose-0-3.exe.
Running it you extract the files (executable, dlls, and config file) needed to run the gadget.
I don't understand whether you want to install it from the SFX or want to make the extracted application auto-start on the remote pc when the user logs on.
In the latter case you shouldn't execute the application, but add it to an autostart mechanisms (Run registry or Startup menu folder).

Neither 😄 I just want to be able to remotely execute some programs when I see the need to, I don't want them to run permanently or at login or autostart or whatever. Just execute .exe files per lansweeper deployment. Doesn' even work with notepad.exe, which is installed locally on every PC.