Notification

Icon
Error

Turn off graphical report builder - Is it possible to edit a report without loading the graphical report builder?

Posted: Monday, February 22, 2021 4:28:40 PM(UTC)
Tenacious

Tenacious

Member Original PosterPosts: 4
Does anyone know of a way to edit a report without using the graphical report builder?

I have a report that I edit periodically. It takes ages to load the report in the report builder....it's painfully slow.
Then, I have to wait a second age after updating the SQL for the graphical representation to update before I can save it.

The report itself runs fine with excellent performance.
I don't seem to have this issue with other reports -- this report contains 3 nested sub-queries and one of those is the target of a JOIN...I don't know, maybe that's why.

Anyway, the report itself has fine performance -- I just want to be able to edit the SQL text directly, without the graphical display.

Thanks in advance.
Hendrik.VE
#1Hendrik.VE Member Posts: 75  
posted: 2/22/2021 8:29:10 PM(UTC)
I use to copy the report to Notepad++, select SQL as language and do the modifications.
Afterward just copy paste to the graphical report builder, click outside the box, wait, and save.

But +1 for a more straightforward (text only) report builder.
RC62N
#2RC62N Member Posts: 522  
posted: 2/23/2021 7:39:43 PM(UTC)
The theory behind the interactive query builder is nice, but it doesn't cut it for anything but really simple "reports". Like Hendrik.VE, to update simpler queries I copy/paste the code to a text editor, make changes there, then copy/paste the code back to the query builder to save the changes. To work out new queries and for anything remotely large or complicated, I fire up SQL Server Management Studio.
Tenacious
#3Tenacious Member Original PosterPosts: 4  
posted: 2/23/2021 7:53:03 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Hendrik.VE Go to Quoted Post
I use to copy the report to Notepad++, select SQL as language and do the modifications.
Afterward just copy paste to the graphical report builder, click outside the box, wait, and save.

But +1 for a more straightforward (text only) report builder.

Yes, this is how I'm doing it now, much simpler to just work in your text editor then copy and paste. I just want to dispense with the report builder altogether and just update the SQL.

Even better would be if I could define the SQL text to be @INCLUDE{http:/MyLansweeperServer.example.com/myReportFile.sql}

I won't hold my breath on either.

Active Discussions

Lansweeper USB printers with toner levels
by  rader   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 12:29:27 AM(UTC)
Lansweeper Showing all assets without a department
by  Andy.S  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Yesterday at 8:30:43 AM(UTC)
Lansweeper Patch Volume Across Fleet
by  darren.kimber   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Yesterday at 8:29:33 AM(UTC)