cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Payton
Engaged Sweeper
I don't really expect that there is a limit to the number of routers that can be scanned, but my system is behaving as if there is.

I have set up individual IP address scanning targets for all of the routers within our network, but for some reason, only five will show at a time. When I manually start a scan on one that does not show, it replaces the fifth one in the list rather than adding to it. Rescanning the replaced asset, or one of the other non-displayed routers, simply replaces the fifth one in the list again. It also drops the replaced asset from the total list of assets altogether, though it leaves the scanning target in place.

I am using the freeware version of Lansweeper, and have a total of 96 assets so I am not out of asset licenses. All of the routers use the same SNMP credentials to retrieve info, and each of them works properly when I initiate a scan.
7 REPLIES 7
FrankSc
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support
They could still merge with a MAC address that is found on one of the interfaces retrieved on the router. In that case you can blacklist them as mentioned in the post below. This should stop the merge for the MAC address you entered.

If you require specific troubleshooting please send an email to support@lansweeper.com

https://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst19704_Device-Duplicates.aspx#post63502
FrankSc wrote:
They could still merge with a MAC address that is found on one of the interfaces retrieved on the router. In that case you can blacklist them as mentioned in the post below. This should stop the merge for the MAC address you entered.

If you require specific troubleshooting please send an email to support@lansweeper.com

https://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst19704_Device-Duplicates.aspx#post63502

I gave this a try, but no change in behavior. The devices do NOT show the same MAC address on a scan. In fact, they don't show anything that could be used as a unique identifier that is the same between them as far as I can tell. All of these devices are Sophos XG 106 firewalls, so apparently something is seen as the same between them, but it isn't IP address or MAC address.
Mark_Payton
Engaged Sweeper
I created a quick and dirty report to pull all fields from tblAssets where the AssetType was 4. I ran this against our assets and save the records to an Excel spreadsheet. Then I scanned a different location with one of the problematic routers at it and it replaced the router in Assets. When I ran that report again, I was able to confirm at the table level that the unique asset id, which was the MAC address for both records, was different in the two records.

I don't see how these records are replacing each other since I thought everything was keyed to the unique ID.
Mark_Payton
Engaged Sweeper
As I was looking through the asset in question, I saw this in the asset comments:

[MERGE] Removing duplicate asset with id 383 and unique 7C:5A:1C:D8:03:B4 while scanning XXX.XXX.XXX.1, writing to asset with id 382 and unique 7C:5A:1C:D8:85:A0 instead. Merged asset with asset unique 7C:5A:1C:D8:85:98 and MAC address 7C:5A:1C:D8:85:98 into asset 383 with asset unique 7C:5A:1C:D8:03:B4 and MAC address 7C:5A:1C:D8:03:B4.

If the two devices are seen as having clearly different MAC addresses and IP addresses, why would they be merged into a single asset by Lansweeper?

Mark_Payton
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks, but unfortunately this isn't the problem. Each of the devices receives a unique key based on its MAC address and each is different of course and the unique keys match the MAC addresses.
FrankSc
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support
Hello,

If they share the same unique identifier, they could merge into 1 asset. This could explain the behavior you are seeing. Please go through the steps below in this KB article: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/how-lansweeper-uniquely-identifies-assets/
FrankSc wrote:
Hello,

If they share the same unique identifier, they could merge into 1 asset. This could explain the behavior you are seeing. Please go through the steps below in this KB article: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/how-lansweeper-uniquely-identifies-assets/

Can you offer any assistance with this?