cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ldockery
Engaged Sweeper II
Lansweeper Version: 8.0.130.37

The install is less than two months old. Since the beginning we have had "Unknown" assets excluded.

[Scanning Targets / Exclusions]
"Asset Type","Unknown","These assets return too little data."

However, every day I have to delete hundreds of unknown assets from the database. Currently:
All Unknown assets(1-250/476)

I click on Assets (all assets), in the Type field I type Unknown, then I select All and delete. If I do not do this every day we blow through our license limit.

I have purchased more licenses so I that I can do this every couple of days instead of every day.

I have tried to remove the exclusion, re-add it, and more. Every single unknown asset is still scanned and included, regardless of this exclusion. If I open one of these Unknown assets (a huge list of duplicated hostnames as they change IP addresses frequently), it displays "This asset's type is excluded from scanning!" but still counts against my license and fills up the database with assets I do not want.

How do I really exclude Unknown assets?
4 REPLIES 4
ricardovalmada
Engaged Sweeper
You have to decide how the entire exclusion mechanism will manage ALL manually included data. I have 3 devices (all actually inactive and unused servers - in AD) being identified/categorized automaticaly as unknown and (re)added to assets list each time that scheduled scans ran, even after excluded also by IP and by hostname (Windows computer - i've manually changed asset type of each but they keep in assets list and when removed but they back to unknown type and appear again in assets list). That boring loop is driving me crazy and angry. By the way, why the hell a default location needs to persistently count as an ASSET (same "unknown" type loop)? You have to change that behaviour to NEVER put excluded data in assets list! It seems like you purposelly left it that way to force some more license spends (change my mind). Version: 9.0.0.17.
Almada wrote:
You have to decide how the entire exclusion mechanism will manage ALL manually included data. I have 3 devices (all actually inactive and unused servers - in AD) being identified/categorized automaticaly as unknown and (re)added to assets list each time that scheduled scans ran, even after excluded also by IP and by hostname (Windows computer - i've manually changed asset type of each but they keep in assets list and when removed but they back to unknown type and appear again in assets list). That boring loop is driving me crazy and angry. By the way, why the hell a default location needs to persistently count as an ASSET (same "unknown" type loop)? You have to change that behaviour to NEVER put excluded data in assets list! It seems like you purposelly left it that way to force some more license spends (change my mind). Version: 9.0.0.17.

AD scanned assets bypass exclusions. Bug/issue Issue: LAN-7777 if I recall correctly. This is particularly true of AD-joined Mac devices that do not have SSH enabled as they are re-added (duplicated) every day from AD.

Issue remains unfixed.
FrankSc
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support
Hello,

We assume that these 'Unknown" assets could be the result of inconsistent scanning of your assets.
Also, if the exclusion is not working as it should, it would require some further troubleshooting.

If not already done, could you please send a mail to support@lansweeper.com. The technical support team should be able to assist you further on this.
ldockery
Engaged Sweeper II
FrankSc wrote:
Hello,

We assume that these 'Unknown" assets could be the result of inconsistent scanning of your assets.
Also, if the exclusion is not working as it should, it would require some further troubleshooting.

If not already done, could you please send a mail to support@lansweeper.com. The technical support team should be able to assist you further on this.

AD scanned assets bypass exclusions. Bug/issue Issue: LAN-7777 if I recall correctly. This is particularly true of AD-joined Mac devices that do not have SSH enabled as they are re-added (duplicated) every day from AD.

Issue remains unfixed.