cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sanca
Engaged Sweeper
I have firewalls on 2 different locations, in each location we do an Ip scan to detect.

After the scan for location 1 is completed device_1 is added.
But after the scan location 2 is completed device_2 is added but device_1 is removed.
When the scan for the first location is completed again device_1 is added and deice 2 is removed.
And so on.

In the comments for the device I found:
[MERGE] Removing duplicate asset with id 3236 and unique <unique IP > while scanning <unique IP>, writing to asset with id 1431 and unique <mac> instead. Merged asset with asset unique <mac> and MAC address <mac> into asset 3236 with asset unique <(unique IP 1> and MAC address .

I found out that Lansweeper on both devices detects the same mac address which is used as unique key for both devices, so only 1 is visible.

I tried to delete both devices and add them 1st manual without Ip and Mac info, both devices had an unique random created unique key value. But as soon as i scan one of the devices it changed the unique key of the entry back into the mac address.

Any suggestions how to solve this?
4 REPLIES 4
Mercedes_O
Community Manager
Community Manager

Interesting question @Ian_Prentice I have pinned the thread at the top of the forum in case another user can help 

FrankSc
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support
Hi,
Lansweeper will indeed merge 2 devices together that hold the same MAC Address.
You can add the duplicate MAC address to the table tsysmacblacklist, this will allow both devices to exist with the same MAC address. Replace '00:00:00:00:00:00' in the query with the MAC of these devices.
After that the 2 devices should not merge any longer.

INSERT INTO tsysMacBlacklist (Mac, Comment) VALUES ('00:00:00:00:00:00', 'Firewall')
GO
UPDATE tsysupdate SET MacBlacklist = GETDATE()
GO
FrankSc wrote:
Hi,
Lansweeper will indeed merge 2 devices together that hold the same MAC Address.
You can add the duplicate MAC address to the table tsysmacblacklist, this will allow both devices to exist with the same MAC address. Replace '00:00:00:00:00:00' in the query with the MAC of these devices.
After that the 2 devices should not merge any longer.

INSERT INTO tsysMacBlacklist (Mac, Comment) VALUES ('00:00:00:00:00:00', 'Firewall')
GO
UPDATE tsysupdate SET MacBlacklist = GETDATE()
GO

Sorry for resurecting this old post.

I think this is what may be causing me issues. We hot-desk using docking stations. Usually, I see the manufacturer of the Macbooks as "Belkin" or a Macbook being listd as a windows machione. it appears that the MAC address of the dock may be being using instead of the Mac address of our Macbooks. The same Macbooks can also connect via On-site Wifi, remotley through a VPN, or from our staff's own docking stations at home - which I believe is also casuing duplication. I have had so much trouble for a long long time with incorrect information / duplicates and Macbooks going missing from the asset list. this would explain it at least. Not sure if there is anything I can do to resolve it?

I have this exact same problem with MacBooks.

Our mac users can connect via:

Company Wifi, Docking station on a hot desk, or via VPN.

I have lost many macbook assets on the system as they get overwritten by other devices connecting via the same docking stations.

I like the idea of excluding the mac addresses via SQL, but we have so many, it would be a big job to list them individually.  They are all the same brand, and therefor will all share the same first three sections of the mac address.  Is it possible to list the macaddress using wildcards -e.g. "a0:a1:a2:**:**:**" which would effectively stop anything from that company being merged?

or does anyone have any other ideas on how to stop Macbook assets from lost due to this duplication?

thanks!