cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_B
Engaged Sweeper
Hi all,

Been using Lansweeper for about 2 years now. We've always tried to keep our server up to date. Don't recall ever having an issue with the upgrades in version 7. However now that version 8 is out, nothing but problems.

I've been down since 4/30/2020. When I first ran the update I had issues getting the LocalDB to start. Found that the GPO for the server didn't allow for service login. Anyways, got that sorted and localDB would then start.

So on to the next step following the procedures provided by support. I'd go to run the compacttoserver.exe and I could not ever see or select the localDB instance on this Windows Server 2016 in AWS. Support finally gave up and told me to install SQL Express locally and use that.

So I uninstall everything lansweeper on the machine and start the process over. Well, I got SQL all installed and configured per supports document. So I download and reinstall 7.2.108.6 as per instructions, selecting the local SQL Express DB.

Now I head back to compacttoserver.exe and run that. I select my backed up file. I select the local SQL Express DB and hit migrate. It fails with the same error anywhere between 13 seconds and 4 minutes in the process. The error I get is "Database 'lansweeperdb' is already open and can only have one user at a time." I use SSMS and do everything I can to remove any sessions that are connected to the DB. The only connection left is the connection I have via SSMS. So I disconnect from the DB in SSMS and rerun the compacttoserver.exe again. Same message. I've verified the DB is in Multi_user mode, and still get no where.

I am beyond frustrated. It has been almost 3 weeks that this has been down. Support is almost useless. It can be like 24 hours before I hear back from support via email. Most of the time it is quick, short 1 line suggestions on what to do. Now since this latest issue not fixing the problem, they have pretty much been silent. No company number to call and speak to someone. It's a blackhole.

So, I come to the forums hoping maybe someone has seen this issue and has a fix or something. Would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,
Brian
7 REPLIES 7
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
I've also now had issues with upgrade from 7 to 8.
scanning service now starting or scanning. looks like some data base upgrade scripts failed. I guess I will have to wait for lansweeper support...... which just replied with an automated "sales" email? how strange.

ps, I have a feeling this has to do something with SQL instance version. And I'm guessing the installer does not validate that before hand. so be careful to read requirements of any new version changes.
ErikT
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support
Hi Brian,

I've checked with our support. They will handle your ticket with priority. They should already have reached out to you to assist you further.
Hendrik_VE
Champion Sweeper III
Do you have a backup or a snapshot of your previous installation?
If I remember right, there's a clear warning before you upgrade that you need to make sure you have a proper backup.
I'd recommend going back to your last stable release, and perform an upgrade on a new server (so you keep the original V7 one). You can follow the instructions from this article: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/move-lansweeper-to-different-server/

Another option is to start over from scratch, I don't know how much custom info you added already?
Hendrik.VE wrote:
Do you have a backup or a snapshot of your previous installation?
If I remember right, there's a clear warning before you upgrade that you need to make sure you have a proper backup.
I'd recommend going back to your last stable release, and perform an upgrade on a new server (so you keep the original V7 one). You can follow the instructions from this article: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/move-lansweeper-to-different-server/

Another option is to start over from scratch, I don't know how much custom info you added already?

Yes, I have a backup. I've actually gone ahead and reinstalled the older version of Lansweeper and restored the backup. Things are working fine with the old version for now.

I'm thinking I will just wait a little longer so that version 8 becomes a little more stable etc.
jdmhw6
Engaged Sweeper II
If you use the lansweeper deployment functions, then failing the v8 upgrade is probably a blessing! It's buggy and sends random deployments!
Brian_B
Engaged Sweeper
jdmhw6 wrote:
If you use the lansweeper deployment functions, then failing the v8 upgrade is probably a blessing! It's buggy and sends random deployments!

That's one of our reasons for lansweeper. I guess version 8 isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

Thanks
Brian_B
Engaged Sweeper
So, just heard back from support. They are saying something about the fact that this happens 3 or 4 minutes into the migration that then indicates something trying to make a connection to DB.

They gave me some scripts that will kill the processes etc. However, this has been done and I verified there were no connections to the DB. And of course I got the message from support that these scripts will not stop processes from trying to connect to the DB and

We unfortunately can only provide limited support in finding and terminating these connections as we're not familiar with your environment, we would recommend involving your local DBA.

Nice. Way to wash your hands of YOUR problem that you can't fix. Hell you couldn't even get your own proprietary DB working, that you passed me off to SQL Express. Probably just so you could wash your hands of the issue. Way to go support. Really standing up for your product there. You guys are the experts (well, that is what we are led to believe) and can't even fix your software.

Anyways, anyone know of a way to monitor connections to a DB in SQL Express, such that I could see what process is attempting to connect to the DB during this migration?

Thanks. Sorry to rant, but it drives me batty when SMEs or whoever, just give up when a problem becomes difficult. Blame it on something/someone else, whatever. Easy to do when you don't really care. I've been in IT for 25+ years and never have I been able to just give up. I had to stick it out until a solution was found. Even if it was later determined to be a bug in the software.

Brian