cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJohnnson
Engaged Sweeper
I am running version 8.130.14. I have a scan server set up at each of my four sites. I am unable to WOL any assets regardless of site. I have tried changing the WOL port from 7 to 6 then 9 and still can not get them to wake up. When I run wol.exe from the command line on the server it will wake up the machine. Does anyone have any insights as to why this is not working from the web interface? I really rely on this feature for windows updates and upgrades.
20 REPLIES 20
John22
Engaged Sweeper

I have fixed my problem by allowing power usage in sleep mode.

Mercedes_O
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @John22 !

miharix
Engaged Sweeper II
Hi,

LS v. 8.2.110.1
Instaled on WinServer2019

Instaled Wireshark(*WS)
run wireshark -> start capture -> for filter enter "wol"

When running WOL.exe I can see packet in WS
When clicking link in LS asset page, no packet in WS
After changing WOL.exe to compatibiliti mode Windows8 (for all users), LS link also generates packets in WS

Now next big question:
WOL.exe
Usage: wol.exe mac_address [adapter_ip] [port] [/pwd password] [/d subnet]

Where in LS do I setup "subnet" and "password" for WOL.exe ?
miharix wrote:
Hi,

LS v. 8.2.110.1
Instaled on WinServer2019

Instaled Wireshark(*WS)
run wireshark -> start capture -> for filter enter "wol"

When running WOL.exe I can see packet in WS
When clicking link in LS asset page, no packet in WS
After changing WOL.exe to compatibiliti mode Windows8 (for all users), LS link also generates packets in WS

Now next big question:
WOL.exe
Usage: wol.exe mac_address [adapter_ip] [port] [/pwd password] [/d subnet]

In my case, there is no need to set up compatibility mode for wol.exe on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 to use WOL in Lansweeper.

I think Lansweeper does not support those options right now. If you want this ability to be added, you may post to the Lansweeper wishlist forum or (the preferred way) send a suggestion email to the support team.

Bruce.B wrote:
We track all features submitted on the forum and will continue to do so. The discussion this spawns can also be useful. However, for the most rapid response and most accurate tracking we recommend submitting feature requests as follows:

• Send in an email to support@lansweeper.com
  • Outline the functionality you'd like to see within Lansweeper, the more information the better. Examples of how your proposed feature would be used in your environment are welcome.

You may also want to try setting up a custom action as suggested by VVB:

VVB wrote:
... for WOL to other VLANs WOL.exe needs the actual target subnet. Therefor we built a custom action (of course your switches\routers need to handle the WOL-broadcast to push it to the target-subnet).

You are welcome to share your finished custom action!

Regards,
Ken
miharix
Engaged Sweeper II
Ken Chong wrote:
I think Lansweeper does not support those options right now. If you want this ability to be added, you may post to the Lansweeper wishlist forum or (the preferred way) send a suggestion email to the support team.

I did wrote them some days ago:

support@lansweeper.com 01. 03. 2021 wrote:
Thank you for getting back to us.

Looking at the Wireshark output, we can see that Lansweeper is simply using the broadcast address as a target. This is a bug that has been reported by other users in the post. For some users, changing the WOL port under Configuration\Asset Pages to another port allowed them to use the wake on lan feature again.

The issue has been escalated to our development team, when a fix for this has been implemented it will be listed as LAN-4743 in our changelog.

miharix wrote:
I did wrote them some days ago

Glad to hear that they are fixing the WOL action.

Regarding to my suggestion to contact the support team, I am referring to your question:

miharix wrote:

Since the current action provided by Lansweeper does not include any options, you may either tell Lansweeper you want these options to be added, or try to create a custom action yourself and add those options in the command. You can create several custom actions for different subnets with different passwords. You may refer to the links I posted earlier for more information.

Regards,
Ken
brodiemac2
Champion Sweeper
This is a fundamental problem: WOL only works inside a subnet, because a WOL magic packet isn't a valid IP packet and therefore is not routable beyond the local LAN.

The Wikipedia entry outlines a solution for this problem (subnet directed broadcasts). Another way around the problem might be to create a WOL proxy agent that forwards WOL packets into other subnets (i.e. as a UDP packet).
Jürgen_Wolkenha
Engaged Sweeper
We found out that directed broadcast is what we need. Some suggest to create own action by using poweroff.exe. I'll contact support.
VVB
Engaged Sweeper
Hi,

we had similar issues with the lansweeper-integrated WOL-feature. Wake on lan worked without any problems on the command line from other pcs, but not from the Lansweeper-server ...

After some troubleshooting I disabled the Npcap Loopback Adapter (which has been installed for LS scanning radar, I guess).

Now WOL works for the same VLAN; for WOL to other VLANs WOL.exe needs the actual target subnet. Therefor we built a custom action (of course your switches\routers need to handle the WOL-broadcast to push it to the target-subnet).

Kind regards

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now