cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trentonknew
Engaged Sweeper
I had a system that was taken down by a lightning strike, and had to do a self-dispatch on the system board. I had a spare identical model in my store room, so I moved the SSD from the damaged system into the spare system while I wait for the replacement system board to come.

Well, once the system was online, Lansweeper COMPLETELY deleted the currently broken system from my database. I would consider this a VERY undesirable behavior with regard to conflicts. I need to have a record of my existing system, because I need to track what happened to it. Was it disposed? is it in storage? just removing it completely is problematic.

Steps to reproduce this error:
  1. add two systems to the database via network scan or possibly agent.
  2. power down both systems and then move the System drive from one system to the other system
  3. Power on the system with the transferred drive and wait for or initiate a new scan

Expected behavior: the old system will still exist in the database (maybe with a [conflict] tag of some sort in the name field)

Actual result: the old system is completely deleted from the database

Not tested: will the same occur if I rename a system to have the same hostname? if I delete the computer from Active Directory and then rename a new replacement computer with the same hostname, are my to-be-disposed assets going to disappear as well?

Lastly, I'm curious to know about the durability of disposed asset records. If I have a system that has been disposed, is the historical data still available to me, and does that count towards my assets number?

Thanks for any help/info/assistance.
1 REPLY 1
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
I believe that this is most likely caused by asset merging. Lansweeper will merge in two scenarios

When the unique ID of two assets in the database is identical

When rename detection determines that an asset has been renamed by checking the MAC address, model and serial number.

I get why you want a record of the old asset, it is very logical that you do. It is something that could be improved.

You can check with the new asset the SSD is in, I think it should have a comment or note on it mentioning the merge.

As for the data, I do think it is gone, unfortunately. If there is no asset record, it also can't be counted in your licensed assets.

I have my own ideas on how to work around historical asset data but maybe others can chime it and explain how they keep track of historical asset data without getting it merged.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now