cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pryan67
Champion Sweeper II
Our organization acquires new companies and integrate them into our domain, but prior to full integration (or before beginning integration in fact) we would like to get an inventory of hardware and software. We would like to use Lansweeper for that (we are currently licensed), but since it wouldn't be on our domain yet, what is the easiest way to do that?

Can we install the "trial" version on each new site, and then let the temporary license lapse and use our current licenses once they're added to our domain? Is there a different/preferred way of doing that?
11 REPLIES 11
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
apologies for you having to integrate a mac environment to your domain 🙂 hehe
pryan67
Champion Sweeper II
JacobH wrote:
apologies for you having to integrate a mac environment to your domain 🙂 hehe

🙂 Thanks...I'm not looking forward to it.

It will be a challenge at best.
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
oh dang - that means they need SSH enabled on all their macs to get full details...

then there's the lsagent idea again - i think there's a mac agent.
pryan67
Champion Sweeper II
JacobH wrote:
oh dang - that means they need SSH enabled on all their macs to get full details...

then there's the lsagent idea again - i think there's a mac agent.

I'll have to see if I can find the mac agent. I'm sure there is one. That would be silly if there weren't.

Assuming SSH isn't enabled that is. For now, until full integration, the main concern is getting a basic inventory of the hardware. Models, RAM, drive space, etc.

JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Sometimes as an alternative (for windows devices anyways), when we do not have domain trust, credentials, or anything yet... I will give the lspush.exe standalone executable and have the other company deploy/run the executable and point the output file to a network folder... then they zip the folder, and I take it and drop it in the import folder on a scan server... that way the other side knows that no credentials were shared, and nothing was actually installed on the computer.

Or... again for windows stuff with same scenario, you can have them install the LSAgent and point it to your cloud relay (if allowed) and then define the foreign subnets... but that involves an installation and also the cloud relay might be scrutinized by security, etc. etc.

I prefer to do the standalone .exe because as we all know, you have to fight with ports and permissions when you are pulling data (i.e. having the scanning server scan them) - with lspush.exe, as long as the coverage is 100% deployed/executed, your results should be 100% as well - as I promise you you will be fighting with scanning errors if you just scan from a server...

just my 2 cents.
pryan67
Champion Sweeper II
JacobH wrote:
Sometimes as an alternative (for windows devices anyways), when we do not have domain trust, credentials, or anything yet... I will give the lspush.exe standalone executable and have the other company deploy/run the executable and point the output file to a network folder... then they zip the folder, and I take it and drop it in the import folder on a scan server... that way the other side knows that no credentials were shared, and nothing was actually installed on the computer.

Or... again for windows stuff with same scenario, you can have them install the LSAgent and point it to your cloud relay (if allowed) and then define the foreign subnets... but that involves an installation and also the cloud relay might be scrutinized by security, etc. etc.

I prefer to do the standalone .exe because as we all know, you have to fight with ports and permissions when you are pulling data (i.e. having the scanning server scan them) - with lspush.exe, as long as the coverage is 100% deployed/executed, your results should be 100% as well - as I promise you you will be fighting with scanning errors if you just scan from a server...

just my 2 cents.

That's a very good idea. This particular instance though it's a Mac shop, including the servers.

We will end up simply connecting via VPN and scanning from here I think. I'll have to deal with the port issues since there are no Windows servers at the site.

Although, I could also install the trial onto a laptop and set up domain credentials and have someone run it out there.

Chickenminnie
Engaged Sweeper
This thread is really relevant to me because we are an ISP for school districts and would like to scan school districts as a value-add service to them.
Melinda Deering wrote:
This thread is really relevant to me because we are an ISP for school districts and would like to scan school districts as a value-add service to them.

For larger multi-location setups, having a scanning server on each LAN is the best way to go.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
If you're fine with having all the data in 1 database, I would recommend setting up additional scanning servers in the new companies. This also depends if you have a license with multiple scanning servers.

If you don't have multiple scanning servers you can use a trial to get an inventory and then export and import it later into your main Lansweeper installation.