cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vthiedek
Engaged Sweeper II
I recently upgraded from version 6.x to the latest 7.x version. I had approx. 2000 unused assets to scan prior to the upgrade. I was a bit over-licensed...but will grow into it.

After the first complete scan after upgrading, my Licensed Asset Count has been exceeding my purchased licensed count and I found the issue.

Lansweeper is now detecting an additional 2500+ devices as VMware Guest. (we run View so we have a lot of virtual desktops)

I have to delete those assets to fix busting my license count. I already had exclusions for the name of the desktops (example: %EDDESKTOP%) and IP range exclusions (/21 subnet) for those devices. That worked on Ver 6.X. Version 7.X does not seem to honor any exclusion. I even added one for object type VMware Guest.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, did you find a resolution? I have a ticket open, but no response yet.

Thanks!

Vic
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vthiedek
Engaged Sweeper II
Esben.D wrote:
The issue here is not really related to your previous exclusions but more a technical limitation/oversight within Lansweeper.

At the moment, for VM scanning you can only exclude the master asset. Meaning, if you want to exclude a VMware Guest asset from being scanned, you must exclude the assets it was scanned from (either the vCenter or ESXi host depending on if you scan a vCenter appliance or an ESXi host directly).

We've already have complaints and feature request regarding this and we're actively working on getting this change in ASAP (hopefully the stable release of 7.1)

Thanks Esben.D! Hopefully this will be resolved in 7.1 like you mentioned. Also, your suggestion of excluding the master assets worked. I also excluded the VMware vCenter Server and ESXi server for now. That stopped the VMware Guest from getting populated and busting my license count.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
The issue here is not really related to your previous exclusions but more a technical limitation/oversight within Lansweeper.

At the moment, for VM scanning you can only exclude the master asset. Meaning, if you want to exclude a VMware Guest asset from being scanned, you must exclude the assets it was scanned from (either the vCenter or ESXi host depending on if you scan a vCenter appliance or an ESXi host directly).

We've already have complaints and feature request regarding this and we're actively working on getting this change in ASAP (hopefully the stable release of 7.1)
vthiedek
Engaged Sweeper II
Esben.D wrote:

Thanks Esben.D! Hopefully this will be resolved in 7.1 like you mentioned. Also, your suggestion of excluding the master assets worked. I also excluded the VMware vCenter Server and ESXi server for now. That stopped the VMware Guest from getting populated and busting my license count.