cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dshu
Engaged Sweeper III
We have a mature Lansweeper install and wish to introduce user/asset relation information from aging spreadsheets. Is there an easy way to do this for assets that already exist?
2 REPLIES 2
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Yeah, inserting relations into the DB is going to be quite the challenge. Reporting on it is complicated enough without using any of the built-in reports with slight modifications.

You can link the users with the most logons to their machines easily. More options on how to add asset-user relations can be found here: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/linking-assets-to-other-assets-or-users/#heading2
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
I hate to say this, as I absolutely love LS, but I've found (with 40,000+ assets) relationships to be an utter nightmare. If you look at the SQL behind the relationship reports, with all the embedded Select statements, when you want to report on these relationships in other reports, it ramps the SQL skill required waaay up. And by way up, I mean literally pages of SQL if you want to have all relationships in one report, and make sure you have your joins right or else your reports go way off track.

What I do instead, is either use what Lansweeper has as the last user when scanned (or use lspush logon history)... or, if you want to manually track relationships, import them into a few custom fields. But generally, I just use the user field (tblassets.username and tblassets.domain) - and join to tblADUsers when I need a little more information for active directory users. SQL reporting is way easier, and honestly, with Lansweeper... non-dynamic information defeats the purpose of using the software.. so I've never really understood the whole relationship concept.

I like to see the fluidity of different users using the machines, and track the physical location by the IPLocation table... and turn on IP address history in the Scanned Item Interval page as well.

If you want to get granular with logon history, you would need a logon script or other means to run LSPush - or perhaps the LSAgent (I can't use that as it requires a really high version of .NET, which thousands of my machines can't upgrade to).

Just my two cents 🙂