cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clepron
Engaged Sweeper
Hello

Is there a way (simple or built-in?) to receive alerts when lansweeper components are failing. For example when a scan server is not communicating any more ?

Thanks
Christophe
3 REPLIES 3
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Well, you can also get creative... (if you don't have other monitoring software)

Here's the issues I've encountered through years of using the product:

Brainstorming:

- LS just stops scanning stuff. The service is running. No idea why. In this scenario, if you're good at SQL, you can make a report that compares MAX(tblassets.lasttried) with the current time, minus say, 1 hour. Where max lasttried is older than the current time minus 1 hour. Then you can set up an email alert and have it email the report every one hour. So, if it's scanning as intended, the report will be blank, and nothing will be emailed. If it hasn't scanned anything (or at least tried), it will email you.

- Remote scan servers are unavailable. This happens when the lansweeperservice.exe service is not running on the remote scan server. Well, you can take the windows services report, modify it to only contain your remote scanning servers and only the lansweeper service, WHERE state is NOT running... set those servers to be scanned every hour or so (make sure services is set to scan every time in scanned item interval - i'm not sure off the top of my head). If its running, there will be nothing in the report. So, same thing, you set the report to email every X timeframe - if it's stopped, the report will have data, and you will be emailed.

- A credential has expired or the password has changed. Pick a server or asset that you know doesn't have problems ever being scanned with the credential. Take the scanning error report, filter by ACCESS DENIED error, and the asset name. Again, it should always be blank unless there's a problem, and you can set it to email you.

I might set those up myself... hehe

Just use your imagination, LS can do a lot of neat things if you put your mind to it.

Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
It would be difficult. If you're talking network issues, than how do you want to send out an alert if the scanserver has no network connectivity.
Service issues could be done with a small script which monitors services and sends out an alert when the lansweeper service is stopped.

As far as self-alerting goes, in both of the situations above, Lansweeper won't be able to send out an alert itself. Both network connectivity and the service have to be working in order to send out an alert.

The only possibility I can think of would be an alert when the web service IIS or IIS Express stops.
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Hmm. Do you have a monitoring application such as Solarwinds, Spiceworks, Nagios, etc? If lansweeper stops or messes up, it won't do much of anything (if anything).

You'd want to monitor the windows service 'lansweeperservice.exe' on each scanning server and have it alert you when its not in the RUNNING state.