Notification

Icon
Error

License Count Exhausted due to duplicate VDI guests in the database

Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 11:16:18 PM(UTC)
BCorrales

BCorrales

Member Original PosterPosts: 5
This issue has been solved! Click here to view the solution
License Count Exhausted due to duplicate VDI guests in the database. We run both linked-clones and persistent VDI machines in our environment and we keep exhausting our Lansweeper scanning license count because Lansweeper keeps adding "new" machines into the database even though they're the same hostname. Horizon View will give the machines the same Hostnames but different MAC addresses and IP's after recomposing the machines or pools. Surely, Lansweeper has a fix for this. How can I force Lansweeper to use ONLY the Hostname for the Unique Key?
Esben.D
#1Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,565  
posted: 1/25/2019 9:33:25 AM(UTC)
Are the guests running Windows?
Are you using VMware or Citrix?

For VMware guest assets, they will get merged based on MAC address with a Windows asset (when the guest is directly scanned).
Once you have a single windows asset for the guest, Rename detection should merge it with other Windows assets if they are identical.

ghelpdesk
#2ghelpdesk Member Posts: 83  
posted: 1/25/2019 3:17:02 PM(UTC)
Would using the MAC blacklist feature (tsysmacblacklist) be feasible?

It appears to allow for single character wildcards with a dot '.' ie: AA:BB:..:DD:EE:FF
BCorrales
#3BCorrales Member Original PosterPosts: 5  
posted: 1/25/2019 3:38:31 PM(UTC)
These are VMware guests running Windows OS. The MAC addresses are not re-utilized if the machines are "destroyed at logoff". VMware will use the same range of hostnames but assigns different MAC addresses.

"Starting with VMware View 5.1 all Linked Clone recompose operations will preserve the MAC address for both assigned and unassigned VMs. Prior to VMware View 5.1, Linked Clone recompose operations preserved the VM MAC address of assigned VMs only, while unassigned VMs would be recreated and assigned new MAC addresses."

"Hi Andre. I think I figured out what was causing the problem. The Mac only changed when I destroyed the VM, but did not change with a simple refresh or recompile. I think we’re going to have to change the pool from floating to dedicated and remove the setting to destroy on log off."

So, I guess what I'm really asking is how can we get Lansweeper to ONLY use the Hostnames for the unique key?

Thanks!
JacobH
#4JacobH Member Posts: 143  
posted: 1/28/2019 1:12:46 AM(UTC)
Following - I ended up excluding our VDI's for similar reasons.
Esben.D
#5Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,565  
posted: 1/28/2019 1:51:08 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BCorrales Go to Quoted Post

So, I guess what I'm really asking is how can we get Lansweeper to ONLY use the Hostnames for the unique key?

Thanks!

Simply said, you can't.

You should not be getting duplicate Windows assets. Once the VMware guests are directly scanned and identified as a Windows asset. Rename detection should kick in and merge any duplicate assets.
Caleb
#6Caleb Member Posts: 11  
posted: 1/29/2019 10:43:23 PM(UTC)
We are seeing duplicate assets as well. I opened a ticket with support but haven't performed troubleshooting beyond deleting the duplicate assets to see if that resolves the error (which it doesn't).

Best I can tell is that Lansweeper identifies a unique asset when the Windows asset is scanned, as well as when the asset is scanned via the ESXi host and vCenter.
Esben.D
#7Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,565  
posted: 1/30/2019 2:54:05 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Caleb Go to Quoted Post
We are seeing duplicate assets as well. I opened a ticket with support but haven't performed troubleshooting beyond deleting the duplicate assets to see if that resolves the error (which it doesn't).

Best I can tell is that Lansweeper identifies a unique asset when the Windows asset is scanned, as well as when the asset is scanned via the ESXi host and vCenter.

VMguest machines and Windows machines are merged based on Mac address. So if the mac address of the guest asset matches the Windows asset, they should be merged.

JacobH
#8JacobH Member Posts: 143  
posted: 1/30/2019 3:05:53 PM(UTC)
Let us know what you find out -

I have the same issue - but it's on some but not all VM's.

JacobH
#9JacobH Member Posts: 143  
posted: 1/30/2019 3:10:14 PM(UTC)
Welp, they arent merging all of the time...

I just did:

SELECT Top 1000000
tblAssets.AssetID,
tblAssets.AssetName,
tblAssets.AssetType,
tblAssets.Mac,
tblAssets.IPaddress
FROM
tblAssets
WHERE
tblassets.assetname like '%EXAMPLE%'

and I got

3290 EXAMPLE 70 00:50:56:86:D5:D8 192.168.108.128
4139 EXAMPLE -1 00:50:56:86:D5:D8 192.168.108.128
JacobH
#10JacobH Member Posts: 143  
posted: 1/30/2019 3:13:39 PM(UTC)
FYI anyone else - you can run this duplicate mac address report

SELECT Top 1000000
tblAssets.AssetID,
tblAssets.AssetName,
tblAssets.AssetType,
tblAssets.Mac,
tblAssets.IPaddress
FROM
tblAssets
WHERE
tblAssets.Mac <> ''
AND (SELECT Count(*) FROM tblAssets AS a WHERE a.Mac = tblAssets.Mac) > 1
ORDER BY
tblAssets.Mac

What you're looking for is the same MAC for AssetType 70, and AssetType -1 (VMWare Guest, Windows Guest)

BCorrales
#11BCorrales Member Original PosterPosts: 5  
posted: 1/30/2019 5:06:16 PM(UTC)
Agreed, they're not merging. We do know that after VMware View 5.5, Composer actions do not discard MAC addresses. Others should be aware, however, that if Horizon Pool settings are set to delete VDI machines on user logoff, or if an Admin chooses to delete a VDI Pool, THEN, Vmware View Composer will generate a new MAC address for each machine created.

But, again, they're not merging in our environment and it's a really big deal. Disabling the scanning of the VDI is not the route I want to take.
JacobH
#12JacobH Member Posts: 143  
posted: 1/30/2019 5:13:16 PM(UTC)
I actually think that vmware guest assets should not count against the asset license... or, should be allowed to not track vmware guest assets...

The only reasons I can think of why there would be a vmware guest asset (provided the MAC merge issue is fixed)... is:

The MAC reported by ESX is different than the successfully scannned asset
or
The VM is offline or powered off
or
You can't successfully scan the asset, so then you have a miscategorized asset (with no MAC), and the vm asset both.

Am I missing a scenario?
Esben.D
#13Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,565  
posted: 1/31/2019 5:28:34 PM(UTC)
Well if you are having issues with duplicate assets, It's best you contact our support team and provide them with the details of the assets that are not merging.
JacobH
#14JacobH Member Posts: 143  
posted: 1/31/2019 5:33:22 PM(UTC)
sorry was talking things out loud in the forum so people can be informed and check themselves... and maybe have people use the forums more. if everything is handled in a support ticket to support, we don't know the cause/resolution.
Esben.D
#15Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,565  
posted: 1/31/2019 5:50:43 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: JacobH Go to Quoted Post
sorry was talking things out loud in the forum so people can be informed and check themselves... and maybe have people use the forums more. if everything is handled in a support ticket to support, we don't know the cause/resolution.

That's fine, feel free to continue to discuss it. I just want to make sure people know that they can let our support team take a look at it. I don't want people to browse around for hours to try and find an answer if there isn't one yet.

FYI, another cause can be when you have a single VM on two hosts. Usually this means one of them won't have a MAC address. This is what happened in Caleb's case.
BCorrales
#16BCorrales Member Original PosterPosts: 5  
posted: 2/5/2019 9:32:31 PM(UTC)
So, basically what support above is saying is that their Asset Merging is broken. And, of course, if you don't have paid support, you're on your own. No help offered.
JacobH
#17JacobH Member Posts: 143  
posted: 2/5/2019 9:40:26 PM(UTC)
I'll put in a ticket and post the solution here - or if its a bug.
JacobH
#18JacobH Member Posts: 143  
posted: 2/5/2019 9:51:38 PM(UTC)
OK i put in a ticket - i'll let you know what I find out.
BCorrales
#19BCorrales Member Original PosterPosts: 5  
posted: 2/5/2019 10:02:21 PM(UTC)
You know I love you, right? Angel
JacobH
#20JacobH Member Posts: 143  
posted: 2/6/2019 4:05:15 PM(UTC)
From Support:

"Normally, Lansweeper will indeed consider the MAC address to identify assets that need to be merged. It's possible that something went wrong during scanning however, and this asset wasn't merged at the time. It seems that later rescans did get ignored or merged with the Windows asset, as the VMware guest asset hasn't been updated since.

To resolve the issue for now, we would recommend manually deleting the assets, or allowing them to be cleaned up by one of the automatic cleanup options: https://www.lansweeper.c...database-cleanups/"

I'll manually delete the assets and see what happens
Esben.D
#21Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,565  
posted: 2/6/2019 6:42:40 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BCorrales Go to Quoted Post
So, basically what support above is saying is that their Asset Merging is broken. And, of course, if you don't have paid support, you're on your own. No help offered.

Everyone that has purchased Lansweeper gets support. The reason why I often refer to our support is because for most technical issues, I'd have to take a look at the errorlogs for more information (which you don't want to post in a public space).

When all the merging requirements have been met, the only thing to check is the errorlog to see if any errors were logged during the merge. However, debug logging options might have to be enabled first to get more verbose logging info.

7.1 will also include a few more VM scanning bug fixes
Caleb
#22Caleb Member Posts: 11  
posted: 2/7/2019 6:35:08 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Esben.D Go to Quoted Post

That's fine, feel free to continue to discuss it. I just want to make sure people know that they can let our support team take a look at it. I don't want people to browse around for hours to try and find an answer if there isn't one yet.

FYI, another cause can be when you have a single VM on two hosts. Usually this means one of them won't have a MAC address. This is what happened in Caleb's case.

To clarify, we had two separate issues.

1. The original issue of duplicate assets with same MAC address,and
2. The scenario where a single VM is on two different ESXi hosts.

I understand the second scenario, however the first is problem needs to be resolved.

We ended up deleting the duplicate assets and re-scanning. That seemed to help somewhat, although I'm not sure it has been resolved yet. I need to send in some additional logs to support for further troubleshooting.
Esben.D
#23Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,565  
posted: 2/8/2019 10:56:32 AM(UTC)
Yeah, the second scenario is more of a feature request.

Feel free to post what support ends up finding.
Caleb
#24Caleb Member Posts: 11  
posted: 2/14/2019 7:07:48 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Esben.D Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, the second scenario is more of a feature request.

Feel free to post what support ends up finding.

I think it was a combination of switching to the new vCenter scanning method along with multiple rounds of deleting duplicate assets.

Support also mentioned additional improvements/fixes in an upcoming release of Lansweeper.
Esben.D
#25Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,565  
posted: 2/15/2019 9:30:38 AM(UTC)
Yeah the upcoming release will have some more fixes. Some of them in the beta changelog.

Active Discussions

Lansweeper NEW TAB
by  TinyTunerz   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 1:39:19 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Force SNMP?
by  JacobH  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 1:11:46 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper LSAgent has forgotten x64 Windows applications
by  thoughtmonkey   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 8:06:40 AM(UTC)
Lansweeper Lsremote "No supported authentication methods!"