cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
felixschueler
Engaged Sweeper
Is there any change to deploy a *.exe software instead a *.msi file?
There is a manual / config file for an old Firefox version but this doesn´t work.
I also like to deploy AcrobatReader and other SOftware without any support of a msi file.

I also want to know if it´s possible to add a user role to a static asset group?
I want to give that special user only access to objects which are in that sepcific group.

Thanks in advance,

Felix

10 REPLIES 10
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Does the bat file work if you do the following:

• Copy the Result command of the failed deployment package.
  • Use the exact path defined under Deployment\Security options.
  • Paste the command into the command prompt of a machine where the deployment failed.
Esben.D wrote:

• Paste the command into the command prompt of a machine where the deployment failed.

This method works fine on the client.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
support.ict wrote:
Esben.D wrote:

This method works fine on the client.

In that case, maybe you should send all the files etc to our support team and let them do a test with it. Maybe it's a Lansweeper issue.

In general, if I want to deploy an exe file I just google the silent install parameters, and use those in the deployment package.
Checking if the software is installed can be done by just targeting your deployment with a report.
Regardless, your method should also work.
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
I haven't used deployment in quite some time...

have you tried running a .bat file that copies down the file to a local folder (say c:\temp) then executes it?
support_ict
Engaged Sweeper
Does anyone have a solution for this. We have the same issues. On Window 10 build 1809, exe's are not installed. We have wrapped them in a batch file. Launching in Explorer works fine, deploy from Lansweeper failes. Deploying on earlier versions of Windows 10 are OK.

As Felix mentioned, a lot of software manufacturer don´t provide a msi file.
support.ict wrote:
Does anyone have a solution for this. We have the same issues. On Window 10 build 1809, exe's are not installed. We have wrapped them in a batch file. Launching in Explorer works fine, deploy from Lansweeper failes. Deploying on earlier versions of Windows 10 are OK.

Would need some more information about what your trying to install, what steps / deployment package you are using etc to troubleshoot. *.exe can be anything. Eg I install Java via an exe as that is what they provide and it installs fine.
CyberCitizen wrote:
support.ict wrote:

Would need some more information about what your trying to install, what steps / deployment package you are using etc to troubleshoot. *.exe can be anything. Eg I install Java via an exe as that is what they provide and it installs fine.

Ok, this is how we work for the moment (and it worked fine until we've got our first laptop delivered with Windows 10 build 1809).

Lansweeper runs on 1 server, our software files are located on another server. We have (for legacy reasons) for most of the software a batch file with sets some variables, looks in the registry if the software isn't already present and if not installs the software and does some logging. No rocket science involved here.
The deployment package just runs the batch file.

Example of batch file to install the Borland Database Engine (bde.exe)
If you need bde.exe, I can share it via Egnyte, if you can provide an emailadres.

SetLocal

set deployserver=\\{OurDeployServerName}\_SoftwareDeploy
set ProductName=Borland Database Engine Setup
set LogLocation=%DeployServer%\_Install_Logs

IF NOT "%ProgramFiles(x86)%"=="" (goto ARP64) else (goto ARP86)

:ARP64
reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%ProductName%"
if NOT %errorlevel%==1 (goto End)

:ARP86
reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\%ProductName%"
if %errorlevel%==1 (goto Deploy) else (goto End)

:Deploy
start /wait %DeployServer%\BorlandBde\bde.exe /S
echo Borland Database Engine ; %date% ; %time% ; Error code %errorlevel% >> %LogLocation%\%computername%.txt

:END

EndLocal

Lansweeper deploy package

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Package>
<Name>Installer - Borland DBE</Name>
<Description></Description>
<ShutdownOption>0</ShutdownOption>
<ShutdownTime>0</ShutdownTime>
<MaxDuration>300</MaxDuration>
<Rescan>False</Rescan>
<RunMode>1</RunMode>
<Steps>
<Step>
<Nr>1</Nr>
<Name>Install</Name>
<Type>4</Type>
<ReturnCodes>0,1641,3010</ReturnCodes>
<Success>-2</Success>
<Failure>-3</Failure>
<Path>{PackageShare}\BorlandBde\BorlandBDE_GPO_Install.bat</Path>
<Parameters></Parameters>
<MSIParameters></MSIParameters>
<MSIName></MSIName>
<MSIVersion></MSIVersion>
<Command>"{PackageShare}\BorlandBde\BorlandBDE_GPO_Install.bat"</Command>
<EditMode>False</EditMode>
<Conditions />
</Step>
</Steps>
<SoftwareVersion>7.0.151.4</SoftwareVersion>
</Package>

Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
As for deployment, many publishers will have some documentation of which parameters can be used with their .exe installers. So it's best you try and look around for their documentation for silent installs.

As for the permissions, I answered that question here: https://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst16802_Asset-Types---allow-admin-of-certain-types-only.aspx
felixschueler
Engaged Sweeper
I also prefer a msi file, but a lot of software manufacturer dopn´t provide a msi file