cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dylan
Engaged Sweeper
Hello,

I used the search before posting, but it did not provide the information I was looking for.

Currently our Lansweeper is accessed with the standard IP_address and port number.

I am investigating, upon a request from my superiors, if there is a way to replace this with a url, like helpdesk.domain.com.

Since DNS CNAME records know nothing of ports, I am thinking if I could open IIS Manager and modify the site bindings and add a hostname. IIS Express does not come with an IIS Management console, so that will be another challenge to tackle.

Lansweeper is hosted on a server with a few other websites.

Has anyone managed to modify the URL to a user friendly one?

Thanks,

Dylan
4 REPLIES 4
dylan
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks for the suggestion, will look into this. Can you point me to a source which explains this in more detail?

Dylan
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Generally I recommend either changing the hostname of your Lansweeper server or set up IIS with HTTP redirection on a host with a more friendly name. In order to use the standard port, change the port binding and use port 80 instead of your current port number.

However, other people might have different methods or a more complete guide.
dylan
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks for your contribution, Charles!

Unfortunately, neither option is applicable to our environment. I'm hoping that more people will chime in and share their way of accomplishing this.

Dylan
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
dylan wrote:
Thanks for your contribution, Charles!

Unfortunately, neither option is applicable to our environment. I'm hoping that more people will chime in and share their way of accomplishing this.

Dylan

instead changing hostname of your server just create CNAME record to IP in your DNS servers and bind that hostname to your IIS server website.. change port to 80 or whatever you want to use. We use /virtual directory setup in our IIS.. so our main domain.com address goes to landing pack with link for each virtual dir.. in our lansweeper setup domain.com/lansweeper fires up lansweeper.