cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
czubai
Engaged Sweeper
Hello,

I'm having trouble using the cleanup options on a client's network.
What I'm trying to achieve is setting asset status to non-active for computers that haven't been seen in the network for 90 days (to exclude them from some reports).

Here's how I set the cleanup options :

cleanup opts

My situation in bullets :
  • I have active directory scanning and IP range scanning activated for the network.
  • IPs for users are not static, but dynamically assigned by DHCP.
  • The assets are not set to not be affected by cleanup options.
  • Windows CMD flushdns was performed on the scanning server.
  • Lastlogon and Lastlogontimestamp attribute in active directory for the assets are over 90 days in the past.
  • When I edit an example asset to remove its IP and rescan it, the old IP comes back (the scan fails).

I assume that the problem is that Lansweeper tries to scan the computer via the old IP, thus retaining it as active.
Yet, in reality, the computer hasn't been in the network for months and the IP is either free or assigned to another computer.
Also - is the LastLogonTimestamp attribute checked in AD by LanSweeper as well? I could only find info about Lastlogon.

Appreciate any help!

P.S.
Forgot to add - several days have passed since setting the cleanup options, so the 24 hour margin is not the cause here.

Please let me know if some more info is required!
4 REPLIES 4
czubai
Engaged Sweeper
Hi Charles,

Thanks, will do.

To further clarify the answer to my question - according to LanSweeper support, the exact value that LanSweeper checks to tell when a computer logged into the domain controller is the LastLogon computer attribute in AD.
Hope this might be useful to someone else.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Since our support team is handling your request I suggest you resolve this issue with them. Once a solution is found you are welcome to post it in this thread to help others who might have a similar issue.

For others who might have the same issue. The last active scan refers to domain scanning targets. When a computer logs onto the domain controller, this is logged. Lansweeper checks which new computers have been logged onto the domain controller every X amount of minutes (configured in the AD scanning options). Once a new machines logged on to the domain controllers are given to Lansweeper, Lansweeper will attempt to scan these machines.
czubai
Engaged Sweeper
Hello Charles,

Thank you so much for your reply!

It seems that Last Active Scan is preventing the asset from going non-active.
The date for it is recent, it's the same as Last Tried.
But, the computer is not getting scanned anyway, Last seen date is in February.
Errors for this example asset :
Ping failed <assetname.domain> 11/16/2017 05:53:34

RPC Unavailable <assetname.domain> 11/16/2017 05:53:25

Also, what is the "Last Active Scan" property based on?
I understood it is based on LastLogon and/or LastLogonTimestamp attributes in Active Directory.
But, for an example computer in question, these AD attributes are well over the cleanup term, yet "Last Active Scan" still shows today's date.

Is there a way to make it so that only successful scans make the asset retain its active status?
Additional question – where does Lansweeper resolve computer name into IP from?
I.e. where is the DNS information stored/cached?
I read on the forums that flushing the windows dns cache on the scanning server should refresh that, but it didn't in my case.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
The option Set assets to non-active if not seen in the last XX days needs some more clarification perhaps. For example, if you have configured this interval to 90 days, the assets that have not been seen in the last 90 days will be set to non-active, you can check the Scan Time tab of your assets to see if they have met this not seen criteria, with not seen we mean:
  • The assets have not been successfully scanned in the last 90 days, this means that the Last Seen date (tblAssets.Lastseen) needs to be older than 90 days.
  • The assets have not reported to a domain controller in the last 90 days, this means that the Last Active Scan date (tblAssets.LastActiveScan) needs to be older than 90 days.
  • The assets have not been seen in the network in the last 90 days by IP Range Scanning, i.e. Lansweeper has not seen assets with that IP and open ports in the network. This means that the Last IP Range Scan date (tblAssets.LastIPScan) needs to be older than 90 days.
All of the below dates need to be older than 90 days before the asset cleanup option will be triggered