cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ProfessorNerdly
Engaged Sweeper II
I am just beginning to put Windows 10 machines in my environment. When I try to push out installers to the new machine, I keep getting an error:

Preliminary checks failed. Task Registering Error. The request is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070032) Credential:(Correct user) Share:(correct Share)

I have noticed Win10 is very different out of the box than Win7 but am hoping for a bit of help clearing this up.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni

For those that end up in this thread when searching for the error below, I've specified the exact solution you can apply. Note: the solution presumes all other deployment requirements are met.

Preliminary checks failed. Task Registering Error. The request is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070032)

On Windows 10.0+ machines (10, 11, 2019, 2022), execute the following PowerShell script as admin on your deployment targets if you're receiving the error above.

Set-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Scheduled Tasks Management" -Enabled True

Depending on your deployment Run Mode, you may also receive a different error, with the same solution. Run mode SYSTEM results in:

Preliminary checks failed. Task Registering Error. The task has been configured with an unsupported combination of account settings and run time options. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80041314)

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni

For those that end up in this thread when searching for the error below, I've specified the exact solution you can apply. Note: the solution presumes all other deployment requirements are met.

Preliminary checks failed. Task Registering Error. The request is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070032)

On Windows 10.0+ machines (10, 11, 2019, 2022), execute the following PowerShell script as admin on your deployment targets if you're receiving the error above.

Set-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Remote Scheduled Tasks Management" -Enabled True

Depending on your deployment Run Mode, you may also receive a different error, with the same solution. Run mode SYSTEM results in:

Preliminary checks failed. Task Registering Error. The task has been configured with an unsupported combination of account settings and run time options. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80041314)

spgs
Engaged Sweeper II
"Remote Scheduled Tasks Management" windows firewall exception was obviously an answer.
Pity that Deployment requirements does not mention it at all!
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
The post from Charles with regards to lansweeper.vbs is here:

https://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst16033_Need-to-Enable-RemoteAdmin-Locally-Despite-Already-Enabled.aspx#post54005
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
There is also a Lansweeper.vbs script floating around on the forums that sets the required access needed on your machines, as I came into an environment were we have alot of remote users via VPN, I found deploying the VBS script was useful for getting the access needed to the machines that are out there and don't check in often.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Random idea, but have you tried running the Lansweeper service with administrative credentials?

I've had some VMs that were acting very dodgy (think on W10 1709), passing a connection test one time and two second later failing on random things. Running the service with my admin credentials fixed it (so did updating to 1809).
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
I'm kinda out of ideas at the moment - It's hard to get support on deployment other than 'try this, try that, look at this, look at that' - because, the deployment portion returns error codes straight from windows itself - so whatever windows complains about, is what you see as a resultant error code... and as you see it can be a bunch of different things leading to that error.

It's a test of google-fu unless someone else has run into the specific issue on these or other push deployment applications forums.

Do keep us posted if you figure it out - you have me curious now, and it might come in handy if i ever use deployment again (I do sometimes for emergency, super-targeted stuff like vulnerable HP sound card driver fixes, and audit requests where I pipe scripts to files on a network share, etc.)

ITlee
Engaged Sweeper
So, I was going to update about the "Remote Scheduled Tasks Management" windows firewall rule, but you've beat me to it!

I recently discovered that firewall rule, enabled it and seems to be a fix for me. What is strange though is that on the Windows 10 machines where deployments were already working, I've checked some and that rule is not enabled. Yet the deployments were working! So it's a bit hit and miss but at least we've got a possible solution for the individual ones that fail.

The majority of windows 10 machines for us are fine, it's a minority that are failing. But nothing obvious linking them, like build number etc.

The TestConnection.exe, I had already tried that (from the server) and like MGuzak, everything passed. The tasks are created, they just don't start.
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
from the lansweeper scan server itself? that's just odd.
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
oh no! did you not run the testconnection.exe "connection tester" that Bruce B. suggested? I forgot to mention it as I assumed you most likely did... it would have told you that...

Scanning TCP ports..
135 open (EPMAP)
139 closed (NetBIOS Session Service)
445 closed (SMB)

Checking Task Scheduler
Task was successfully scheduled
Task ran successfully

Task Deleted