cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve_shaw
Engaged Sweeper
Hi guys,

I have an environment of around 3000+ assets. I have about 20 IP locations which devices float between as laptops move from site to site, so far so good.

My question is, every single one of my assets has no location assigned. Location is "undefined" for all 3000+ assets. I can't seem to automate this or even mass edit it, as there's no "asset location" column in the "mass edit assets" view. I obviously can't go through 3000 assets one by one. Could you assist please?

Thanks,

Steve

5 REPLIES 5
sumone24
Engaged Sweeper
Just checking to see if anyone has done this or if it's recommended. we have close to 3500 assets. we have categorized them by Iplocation. however, now there is a need to have the "Asset Location" populated, but it's not realistic for us to do this manually.

can we update the asset location field in the backend through a nightly batch process.

for "iplocationx" chagne asset location to "physical address"

regards

Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
sumone24 wrote:
Just checking to see if anyone has done this or if it's recommended. we have close to 3500 assets. we have categorized them by Iplocation. however, now there is a need to have the "Asset Location" populated, but it's not realistic for us to do this manually.

can we update the asset location field in the backend through a nightly batch process.

for "iplocationx" chagne asset location to "physical address"

regards

It looks like you are talking about the location field and not the location maps. For the location field, you can select all the assets you want to give a location on the asset overview page, then use the asset action "Mass Edit Assets", select the Location field and input the address

add location field
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Thank you for clarifying. This undefined location is in regards to location maps, you can learn more about this feature by reading this article. If an asset has not been placed on an asset map the "Asset location" is listed as undefined.
steve_shaw
Engaged Sweeper

Asset location:

Screenshot.PNG

This is always "undefined".

There's a "location" column in the mass edit table which doesn't seem to map to the "asset location". If I edit it, it adds another location field:

https://i.imgur.com/XMUVavv.png

https://i.imgur.com/dfErdgs.png

https://i.imgur.com/SM6IfIn.png

Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
It's not entirely clear to me whether you're referring to the Location field or IP Location field:
  • The Location field is only automatically filled when found through SNMP scanning for network devices and is meant to be filled in manually for all other types of devices. This field is changeable with the Mass Edit Assets button though (the top one).
  • IP Locations, which update dynamically based on the last IP through which the asset was successfully scanned. IP locations can be set up under Configuration\Asset Groups as explained in this article. If your IP locations are listing undefined this would indicate that the IP address of the asset doesn't fall within any IP Range set up under Configuration\Asset Groups, or the field hasn't updated yet. If you've already entered the appropriate IP Range locations you could try restarting the Lansweeper Server service and web server service (IISExpress or World Wide Web Publishing service) on your Lansweeper server.