cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamentally
Engaged Sweeper II
Selecting computers to deploy to is very limited currently. It's surprising that I don't have to ability to upload an excel sheet or a text file or even a text box in which I can paste computer names. I have to select them all individually under the assets tab.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
David_G
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
You can set up a scheduled deployment based on a selection of assets, a report or a dynamic group under Deployments\Scheduled Deployments as explained in this knowledge base article.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ghelpdesk
Champion Sweeper
The scenario we have is hundreds of computers in each OU. We might want to target 10-50 of those for deployment of a package or to group specifically (and they might not be in the same OU). We might even want to run a package that runs a script which means there might not be sufficient data scanned by Lansweeper to identify that list of machines via a report.

Yep - The input box to paste asset numbers or asset names for group membership or deployment would be great 🙂
ghelpdesk
Champion Sweeper
Just to raise this one again as well. In undertaking helpdesk requests for deployment of software it is not always as clean as "create a custom report". Very often it is please deploy to these NN computers (which could be a plain text list of 5-100 machines). 5-10 is manageable manually but really copy paste a plain text list like the batch scanning to either deploy immediately or create a group would be fantastic. Even just for groups so we can scan assets via barcode scanner that are in a particular section of an office and then add them to a group (ie: 50 machines in a training environment).

The workaround at present is to put this adhoc listing into an AD group and then wait 24 hours for Lansweeper to import that information.
ghelpdesk wrote:
The workaround at present is to put this adhoc listing into an AD group and then wait 24 hours for Lansweeper to import that information.

Could you not just do a custom scanning target of that OU and then run the scan manually, saves waiting the 24 hours.

But yes I agree being able to import a list of assets for deployment would be useful.

I would prefer an input box that you can paste a list of asset numbers vs the now single asset option that we have and you have to tick each asset.
megosu
Engaged Sweeper
same here, 2 years later and still no easy way to create a group from a list or even from a report.
Reports are not frozen and sometimes we need to have a fixed list based on the result of a report at a specific date and time.

I'll open a ticket but I'm afraid I'll receive the same answer as usual:

"We have this currently listed as a feature request. Feature requests are not considered high priority, so they are evaluated for next releases. We try to see if they are a true added value, what is the impact to implement, time to implement, how many other customers requested this ...
Unfortunately we cannot make any commitment on this for now."

David_G
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
In your case, we would recommend using custom reports that will then filter out to the list of these computers as providing a batch of computer names might not work entirely, if they aren't scanned yet or were not be able to be scanned due to a scanning error, for instance. Lansweeper will use the same credential for scanning the computers as to deploy the package.
ghelpdesk
Champion Sweeper
The option to deploy or populate (add to) a group using a plain text list similar to the "Batch scanning" section of Configuration/ScanningMethods/ would be super handy.

Sometimes we are provided a list of non-sequential computer names for deployment or tracking at a group level. Not wanting to sound lazy, but any list beyond 20 items feels like it passes the threshold for "can we just copy paste the list" 🙂 we either have to filter repeatedly or load each asset page individually and add to the group or deploy.

Thanks!
David_G
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
You can set up a scheduled deployment based on a selection of assets, a report or a dynamic group under Deployments\Scheduled Deployments as explained in this knowledge base article.