cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brians
Engaged Sweeper II

Background: Corporate environment, 300 PCs(laptops/desktops), Active Directory. We join PCs to the domain and some we send out and they hardly ever connect to our network or rarely VPN in. Like most people using this software in a corporate environment, it needs to be set up in a secure way.

Specifics:

1) Where to place the LSPush.exe so updating it can be easy(centrally managed) and safely accessible from outside the network for remote PCs to run.(DCs, how?)

2) How to create a script or policy and how to push it to all PCs(off or on the corporate network) that will run(LSPush.exe) every time someone logs onto the PC.

3) How to set it up so that PCs currently off the corporate network can send the info into the LS server securely.

I have read what I can find and have found no clear instruction on how to set this up(if it is even possible).

I am sure there are more questions I need to ask or answer, but I don't know what those are.

Thanks for any direction.
~B

17 REPLIES 17
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
If you want to use LsPush for assets not on site, best method is using a VPN so that LsPush can use the VPN connection to send the scan file to the Lansweeper server securely.

The alternative is to wait for our next big release. We'll be releasing a new and improved scanning agent which addresses the issues in your earlier post (before you ask, ETA is Soon™ 😉 .
Glennbullion
Engaged Sweeper
Ah in this case that's a no go. Domain PCs aren't the issue. I'm trying to roll out an automated LSPush on remote PCs. Back to the drawing board. 🙂
Glennbullion
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks much for the help.

Step #3 is what I'm drawing a blank on. With the freeware version of Advanced Installer, how do I run either a batch or CMD file to import the task? Everything I've seen, you need to pay to be able to do that.
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
Glennbullion wrote:
Thanks much for the help.

Step #3 is what I'm drawing a blank on. With the freeware version of Advanced Installer, how do I run either a batch or CMD file to import the task? Everything I've seen, you need to pay to be able to do that.

use lansweeper to issue cmd3... since you will be using it to deploy msi..
Glennbullion
Engaged Sweeper
Ah missed a post above, see it now.

Yeah, I can import the task through the command line. Just wondering if there is a way to incorporate that step into Advanced Installer.
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
Glennbullion wrote:
Ah missed a post above, see it now.

Yeah, I can import the task through the command line. Just wondering if there is a way to incorporate that step into Advanced Installer.

create msi to install to unpack the files and extra step during deployment to import the xml.. that way you have msi installed and registered with windows and any changes u make to new version it will upgrade the repository files that are stored locally on pc..

so task would be

1. Deploy .MSI files
2. check if deployed files exist in destination directory
3. run CMD command to import xml (which was extracted during msi deployment)
4. delete xml

step #3 also can be an batch2exe converted file that gets executed if you want to compile resource inside.
Glennbullion
Engaged Sweeper
Ah I have the task exported as an XML file. I'm wondering the easiest way to import it into a remote machine.

I was hoping to include the import in the XML file, but it seems the Advanced Installer freeware won't let you run a command line, or set up Schedule Tasks.

It just seems there no all inclusive, automated way to do this.

It looks like I have to distribute the MSI file, and then manually import the Scheduled Task(s). Am I wrong there?
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
attached task export.. modify to your liking.. it has couple triggers build in.. login /daily / ip change
Glennbullion
Engaged Sweeper
More notes:

I see above you talk about importing an XML file, so I'm guessing you didn't use the Enterprise edition of AI. Did you create the tasks manually though?