cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doone128
Engaged Sweeper III
We have systems that are provided by a third party. They are not on our domain and don't use our DNS, but we have credentials to scan the devices.
However, Lansweeper always sees them as offline as it attempts to ping the Netbios name instead of the IP. Can we have the option to ping the IP for situations like this?
I need to run a software deployment to these machines but can't because Lansweeper attempts to ping the device first and then bombs out, even thought the device is online and visible on the network via IP.

8 REPLIES 8
jacob_bks
Champion Sweeper
+1 for me, i'd love FQDN pinging...
Zach1227
Engaged Sweeper II
Also not an automatic solution, but you could change the asset name to the ip address. Then use a custom column for the actual name. As for IP changes, would a static IP or DHCP reservation be acceptable?
Tomas
Engaged Sweeper III
Just create your own custom action and call:
cmd.exe /K "ping.exe {ipaddress}"

EDIT:
Sorry, i misunderstood the requirement at first.
doone128
Engaged Sweeper III
I've temporarily got around this but it's really dirty. My solution until we hear back from the devs is:

1. Run a report based on machines in workgroup, logging in as a certain user, machine has certain registry key. This generates the accurate report but then Lansweeper can't ping these devices - even though it can resolve the info of the machine.
2. Export the report.
3. Copy and paste the info into the Lansweeper server HOSTS file.

This is really dirty and doesn't take into account any IP changes on the machines.

Please add the ability to ping by IP - especially for Workgroup machines which may be machines that don't use the company DNS.
doone128
Engaged Sweeper III
But that defeats the whole automation piece. I'm finding these machines by running a report based on machines that are in a workgroup, are auto logging in with a certain name, and have a certain registry entry. I don't want to have to add every machine to DNS as it's a lot of work and the IPs could change.

All Lansweeper really needs is the option to ping by IP rather than Netbios. Netbios can be the default, I really don't care, I just need at least the option to ping by IP. Seems crazy that this isn't an option. This could be something that is just an additional option on the scanning targets and workgroup scanning targets.

Without this, a whole lot of automation goes down the drain. =(
Ken_SP
Engaged Sweeper
You can add static records for the systems in your DNS server. This will allow the scanning server to ping the systems. The systems are not required to use the same DNS.

It works even they are not in the same network as your scanning server, but of course you need to route packets between the networks.
MrVal
Engaged Sweeper III
I asked for this a while back. I wanted a choice of using NetBIOS name, FQDN, or IP. I was told it would be considered, but its been years.
doone128
Engaged Sweeper III
MrVal wrote:
I asked for this a while back. I wanted a choice of using NetBIOS name, FQDN, or IP. I was told it would be considered, but its been years.

That doesn't sound promising then. Shame, because I need this feature yesterday! Seems really odd that it's not even an option.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now