cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marck1024
Engaged Sweeper III
If you run the report "LsAgent: Not seen in the last 7 days", and then the "Ping Assets" action, do you find any computers online? If the agent is working correctly, you shouldn't. But I have on multiple occasions.

I've encountered two different problems. On some of the computers, the Lansweeper Agent Service is simply not running. I looked in the event log for crashing, but the service did not crash. It either failed to start or gracefully exited. If I manually start it, the agent starts working.

On several others, I found a corrupt LsAgent.ini file. In all cases, the contents were gone, replaced by 279 blank spaces.

I sent both issues into support. Antivirus was initially blamed for the corrupt LsAgent.ini problem, but there is nothing on these systems other than the default Windows Defender.

It's disappointing that LsAgent is not more robust and reliable. It's main purpose is to allow scanning of systems that leave the corporate network. I was able to fix the systems I found when I checked the "LsAgent: Not seen in the last 7 days" report, but I don't know how many systems are out in the wild that are forever broken. This would be an awesome feature if I could count on it.
5 REPLIES 5
marck1024
Engaged Sweeper III
I was disappointed to find this is still not fixed. I found a computer with a corrupt LsAgent.ini dated 12/19/2021 with agent version 8.4.100.149. That's the latest version of the agent. 😞
Unlucky
Engaged Sweeper II

It is still happening in my company, i get ini files empty and services stopped.

Even restarting service does nothing most of the time, this is boring to troubleshoot.

A new lsagent version more stable would be appreciated as my company is running lsagent only to get computers information. We have stopped using global credential a few months ago and i already have more than 300 computers not sending scan...

Hi @Unlucky ,

Have you verified you're running a recent version of Lansweeper (>= 10.5.2.1) and LsAgent (>= 10.4.2.0)? Those versions should no longer have issues with corrupt in files.
If you do have that version or higher, could you contact our support department and share the lsagent error log to resolve this issue?

Unlucky
Engaged Sweeper II

Hello Gilian,

Thanks for your interest. I confirm i'm using latest Lansweeper release 10.6.1.6 and latest lsagent.

I've opened a case to the support team and provided logs files from clients & scan server.

I'll give news here if someone is interested.

cjcox
Engaged Sweeper III
marck1024 wrote:
If you run the report "LsAgent: Not seen in the last 7 days", and then the "Ping Assets" action, do you find any computers online? If the agent is working correctly, you shouldn't. But I have on multiple occasions.

I've encountered two different problems. On some of the computers, the Lansweeper Agent Service is simply not running. I looked in the event log for crashing, but the service did not crash. It either failed to start or gracefully exited. If I manually start it, the agent starts working.

On several others, I found a corrupt LsAgent.ini file. In all cases, the contents were gone, replaced by 279 blank spaces.

I sent both issues into support. Antivirus was initially blamed for the corrupt LsAgent.ini problem, but there is nothing on these systems other than the default Windows Defender.

It's disappointing that LsAgent is not more robust and reliable. It's main purpose is to allow scanning of systems that leave the corporate network. I was able to fix the systems I found when I checked the "LsAgent: Not seen in the last 7 days" report, but I don't know how many systems are out in the wild that are forever broken. This would be an awesome feature if I could count on it.

This is especially frustrating since there are a lot of bugs in the ways they determine asset uniqueness, especially when their own probes make tons of assumptions and can't accurately gather what they deem is useful for uniqueness. Their answer has been LsAgent, which for whatever reason works completely differently than their standard ssh probe on MacOS and does at least come back with a MAC address (noting that's greatly inferior to serial number which should be considered, and is not). I really wish they'd open this product up. All I can say is the door is wide open for those that truly understand asset inventory discovery and are willing to improve their products.

Does LS work? Yes, but only up to a point. It does best with Windows. The rest needs a lot of shaping up. It's like the code base stopped getting any real work 10+ years ago. Sort of sad.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now