cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HStr
Engaged Sweeper II
I would appreciate if Lansweeper wouldn't stop the whole IIS service when updateing the website part of our installation.
There are more than just the Lansweeper site hosted on our IIS server, so updates can only be done in maintenance hours.

Isn't stopping just the website enough to replace the files?
4 REPLIES 4
HStr
Engaged Sweeper II
Seriously?!?

Would you setup a whole Windows Server just to host one Website?
We host three (so - not that much) internal websites with IIS on this server.

I think that is not too demanding, is it?
l33t9eek
Engaged Sweeper II
Hstr wrote:
Seriously?!?

Website, or app? We run IIS with the rest of lansweeper on a single VM that serves no other purpose. While we do run many small websites on a single web server(apache and IIS), they are easily migrated to other VMs if need be. But in this case, we're not talking about just a website, but a full blown app that happens to include IIS as a component. By containing the whole service and only the service in a single VM, outages(be it planned or unplanned) are isolated to that VM. This helps during upgrades as well, if an upgrade goes south, we can revert the snapshot and then only that service is reverted back to preupgrade status without worrying about other services.

Those other shared IIS sites? Those are limited to simple sites that are just .NET and/or PHP and static content only, with no database backends.
grimstar
Champion Sweeper II
Tim is right here. Best practice is to split things like this apart. You have created an unnecessary dependency out of Lansweeper for your other websites.

Hstr wrote:
Seriously?!?

l33t9eek
Engaged Sweeper II
So, this brings up the question.. Why are you combining different services onto the same server? Modern best practices is to separate functions across virtual servers, so that no service affects the other when it has a problem.. like this exact case.

Is there a reason you've got multiple services on the same OS?