cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tenacious
Engaged Sweeper II
Does anyone know of a way to edit a report without using the graphical report builder?

I have a report that I edit periodically. It takes ages to load the report in the report builder....it's painfully slow.
Then, I have to wait a second age after updating the SQL for the graphical representation to update before I can save it.

The report itself runs fine with excellent performance.
I don't seem to have this issue with other reports -- this report contains 3 nested sub-queries and one of those is the target of a JOIN...I don't know, maybe that's why.

Anyway, the report itself has fine performance -- I just want to be able to edit the SQL text directly, without the graphical display.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
RCorbeil
Honored Sweeper II
The theory behind the interactive query builder is nice, but it doesn't cut it for anything but really simple "reports". Like Hendrik.VE, to update simpler queries I copy/paste the code to a text editor, make changes there, then copy/paste the code back to the query builder to save the changes. To work out new queries and for anything remotely large or complicated, I fire up SQL Server Management Studio.
Hendrik_VE
Champion Sweeper III
I use to copy the report to Notepad++, select SQL as language and do the modifications.
Afterward just copy paste to the graphical report builder, click outside the box, wait, and save.

But +1 for a more straightforward (text only) report builder.
Hendrik.VE wrote:
I use to copy the report to Notepad++, select SQL as language and do the modifications.
Afterward just copy paste to the graphical report builder, click outside the box, wait, and save.

But +1 for a more straightforward (text only) report builder.

Yes, this is how I'm doing it now, much simpler to just work in your text editor then copy and paste. I just want to dispense with the report builder altogether and just update the SQL.

Even better would be if I could define the SQL text to be @INCLUDE{http:/MyLansweeperServer.example.com/myReportFile.sql}

I won't hold my breath on either.