cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJohnnson
Engaged Sweeper
I am running version 8.130.14. I have a scan server set up at each of my four sites. I am unable to WOL any assets regardless of site. I have tried changing the WOL port from 7 to 6 then 9 and still can not get them to wake up. When I run wol.exe from the command line on the server it will wake up the machine. Does anyone have any insights as to why this is not working from the web interface? I really rely on this feature for windows updates and upgrades.
20 REPLIES 20
itkenyohk
Engaged Sweeper
VVB wrote:
Hi,

we had similar issues with the lansweeper-integrated WOL-feature. Wake on lan worked without any problems on the command line from other pcs, but not from the Lansweeper-server ...

After some troubleshooting I disabled the Npcap Loopback Adapter (which has been installed for LS scanning radar, I guess).

Now WOL works for the same VLAN; for WOL to other VLANs WOL.exe needs the actual target subnet. Therefor we built a custom action (of course your switches\routers need to handle the WOL-broadcast to push it to the target-subnet).

Kind regards

Recently I found the WOL action in Lansweeper did not work. I troubleshooted and found that only the Lansweeper server (version 8.2.110.1) itself was having problem. Later I found the solution on the internet and now it works.

It seems that it is related to the newly installed Npcap Lookback Adapter that comes with the Npcap driver, which is installed automatically by Lansweeper for the new Asset Radar function.

To fix the problem, I manually lowered the metric for the LAN interface to 5, while raised that for the Npcap interface to 500, in the "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" as shown below. (Windows enabled "Automatic metric" by default for all interfaces)
https://imgur.com/shflfpp

This solution does not require disabling the adapter or restarting the server, and fixed the problem immediately for me.

Technical details: Lansweeper uses WOL.exe 2.1 from www.Gammadyne.com which seems to only use the interface with highest priority. The Npcap Lookback Adapter seems to have higher priority by default, therefore lowering its priority by setting a high metric value will fix the problem.

Regards,
Ken

REF:
How to change network adapter priorities using Control Panel
https://www.windows-10-forum.com/threads/npcap-loopback-adapter.77513/#post-129593 (German)
Lennart
Engaged Sweeper III
VVB wrote:
Hi,

we had similar issues with the lansweeper-integrated WOL-feature. Wake on lan worked without any problems on the command line from other pcs, but not from the Lansweeper-server ...

After some troubleshooting I disabled the Npcap Loopback Adapter (which has been installed for LS scanning radar, I guess).

Now WOL works for the same VLAN; for WOL to other VLANs WOL.exe needs the actual target subnet. Therefor we built a custom action (of course your switches\routers need to handle the WOL-broadcast to push it to the target-subnet).

Kind regards

Thank you for the clue. I tried to copy wol.exe to my client pc, and it did not work at first, but i have several network adapters, and when i selected the right one, (wol.exe xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx MyIP) it workt.
so back to the server and made a ipconfig in cmd, and of course a had the loopback adapter.
I disabled it in Device manager and after a restart it works again !
Christophe
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello,

i have the same problem i reported in april.
https://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst19404_Issues-with-Wake-on-lan.aspx

It's not recent.

For me the problem comes from of Lansweeper because
When you are on the computer page and click on Wake on Lan, the order has been sent.

if we put the WOL.exe in a batch it works correctly

The problem is really present with module scheduled task

Sorry for my english i'm french

Christophe
RedWood
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello,
Did you ever figure out the issue you had?
We just started to have this issue come up. We had some workstation turn off we tried to use the Wake on Lan option that didn't work. Once I copied the WOL off the server to my workstation. I was able to wake the machines up using the MAC address.

Still trying to figure out if it's the software, some update or the server.

Any idea please let me know.
EDV_OHZ
Engaged Sweeper III
then you found the problem.

There are a few switches and firewalls that allow a WOL via routing or can handle it.
Maybe you had an update of the switches or the firewall that reset this switch.

Otherwise you only have the option to have a csv created daily from Lansweeper,
which contains the PC name and MAC address as content and to have this passed
on to WOL via a script within Lansweeper.

Maybe someone set this up for you? Perhaps the creation of the MAC address file no longer works?

However, setting up the above option is not easy.
I gave up myself at some point, but others did it 🙂

Search here in the forum about WOL and you will find your way 🙂

Good luck
EDV_OHZ
Engaged Sweeper III
The question still remains, is the server in the same IP network?

If, as is usually the case, for example the server in the network is 192.168.1.x and the PC in the network is 192.168.2.x,
then WOL does not work because WOL cannot use VLAN or routes.

To do this, you would have to feed WOL with the MAC address of the PC.

I hope my English is enough to show what I mean. It's been a long time since I had to write English 🙂
EDV_OHZ wrote:
The question still remains, is the server in the same IP network?

If, as is usually the case, for example the server in the network is 192.168.1.x and the PC in the network is 192.168.2.x,
then WOL does not work because WOL cannot use VLAN or routes.

To do this, you would have to feed WOL with the MAC address of the PC.

I hope my English is enough to show what I mean. It's been a long time since I had to write English 🙂

Server and Clients are on different networks. We are routing through firewall for security reasons. We are still investigating.

Jürgen_Wolkenha
Engaged Sweeper
After checking wol.exe on command line we havve found out that wol.exe running on our Lansweeper Server does NOT do the job. After having copied wol.exe to another client computer and running it from there wol.exe does it's job. We have not changed anything within the network or Lansweeper firewall.
EDV_OHZ
Engaged Sweeper III
Hey
it might be possible that you are on the wrong scan server because WOL cannot hop over VLANs.

It's just an idea
Jürgen_Wolkenha
Engaged Sweeper
I am confirming this issue. We are running v. 8.0.130.22 and Wake on Lan does not work although a self written wake on lan skript does wake the client.

Any news concerning this problem?

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now