cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Masterfixedit
Engaged Sweeper
Hello,

I want do deploy several packages to our client computers but they all seem to fail with error 1603. The credentials used and tested have domain admin right and local admin rights.
If i test the command locally, it executes and installs. If i test it locally on a client computer without admin rights it also executes but halts and asks for the admin credentials.
Any idea? It's urgent as lots of people will work at home this week because of the corona virus.

Result: Deployment ended: Onherstelbare fout bij installatie. Stop(Failure). Credential: (domain\adminuser). ShareCredential: (domain\adminuser2).
Command: msiexec.exe /i "C:\AeroAdmin.msi" /norestart /qn
11 REPLIES 11
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Download an application called InstEd.

This will allow you to generate a Transform File against an MSI.

Basically you keep the MSI intact but the Transform Files has all your changes.

For example, here is one of ours for installing TeamViewer v15.

Note I have blurred out some account info.

Then when I install the application I just reference that Transform File.

msiexec.exe /i "{PackageShare}\Teamviewer\MSI\TeamViewer_Host.v15.msi" /norestart /qn TRANSFORMS="{PackageShare}\Teamviewer\MSI\TeamViewer_Host.v15.Settings.mst" 
CyberCitizen wrote:
Download an application called InstEd.

This will allow you to generate a Transform File against an MSI.

Basically you keep the MSI intact but the Transform Files has all your changes.

For example, here is one of ours for installing TeamViewer v15.

I think you misunderstood what he said. He's not starting from an MSI. He's starting from an EXE - THEN repackaging it as an MSI. The Repackaged MSI installs locally without problems, but will not install through the Lansweeper process.

Masterfixedit
Engaged Sweeper
Hi,

I've got it resolved! Converting an exe to msi is something that lansweeper doesn't like apparently. The msi file installs fine in an elevated command prompt with msiexec /i command.
If I use an original msi file it works perfectly with lansweeper.

So the problem is solved!

Thanks for the advice!
Yes it's better to not modify MSI files directly but use transform files.
CyberCitizen wrote:
Yes it's better to not modify MSI files directly but use transform files.

Can you tell me what you mean with transform files?
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Agreed, it could be a Malformed MSI.

Have you tried running the MSI install file in an elevated command prompt using the msiexec /i command?

Did it get the same error?

Are you able to provide a link to the software your attempting to install? Have you tried installing another application that you haven't modified the MSI to confirm if it still works?
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The error you're currently receiving is a generic MSI installer error and isn't Lansweeper-specific. As a first step I'd recommend trying to run the same command via CMD on a test machine, as it will likely result in the same error, independent of Lansweeper.

The error may be caused by for instance using an invalid MSI, not being able to access the MSI file, not being able to access the folder targeted by the installation, etc.

If you're not receiving the error when running the installer locally via CMD, it may be related to share access.
Masterfixedit
Engaged Sweeper
We never used package deployment until now. I have restarted the lansweeper service several times. I could resolve some minor problems with the connections.
Only problem that remains is the error 1603. This is an msi installer error but i can't find why i get this error. Could it have something to do with rebuilding an exe file to an msi file?
CyberCitizen
Honored Sweeper
Silly question but were they working previously if so have you attempted to restart the lansweeper service?

Are you using the system account or scanning account?