Notification

Icon
Error

Changes in the licensing model

Posted: Friday, August 2, 2019 2:52:09 PM(UTC)
BullGates

BullGates

Member Original PosterPosts: 244
Hello, the recent changes in the licensing model were really a surprise for us. We had in my case an increase of cost of around 3700% that is really not acceptable.

Sorry to say but we have to opt out and abandon Lansweeper, it's a great tool, I don't say it does not deserve the price if you use all the functionalities - but for our use case we have many policies that do not let us use not even close of the 50% of functions, so we cannot afford to have such an increase. I tried to explain this to the management and commercials without success, maybe other users will have the same issue when they have to renew.

Basically there's no "Unlimited assets" license, and you will be charged 0,98€/asset per year. This will make the licensing costs raise in most of the users.
CyberCitizen
#1CyberCitizen Member Posts: 305  
posted: 9/6/2019 7:04:26 AM(UTC)
Disable the stuff that you don't need.
RKCar
#2RKCar Member Posts: 68  
posted: 9/17/2019 9:08:44 PM(UTC)
Figured I'd give my two cents here as well. We're up for renewal and need an additional 3000 assets to cover in the near term (yay growth!). Was a bit of a surprise to find that they did away with any volume license discount above 5000 assets. The website still functions like you get a volume discount as it asks you to reach out to their sales team for asset counts above that number.

I like the software, and my intentions are to try and get it approved for another year, but they may be shooting themselves in the foot for larger clients.
magic7502
#3magic7502 Member Posts: 11  
posted: 10/24/2019 6:07:56 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BullGates Go to Quoted Post
Hello, the recent changes in the licensing model were really a surprise for us. We had in my case an increase of cost of around 3700% that is really not acceptable.

Sorry to say but we have to opt out and abandon Lansweeper, it's a great tool, I don't say it does not deserve the price if you use all the functionalities - but for our use case we have many policies that do not let us use not even close of the 50% of functions, so we cannot afford to have such an increase. I tried to explain this to the management and commercials without success, maybe other users will have the same issue when they have to renew.

Basically there's no "Unlimited assets" license, and you will be charged 0,98€/asset per year. This will make the licensing costs raise in most of the users.

I agree! I couldn't believe the insane price increase percentage! I think Lansweeper is great and we have been using it for about 7 years. However, it has been extremely difficult to get the huge price jump approved for our budget. I don't want to have to say goodbye to Lansweeper, but if I can't get it approved, that's what's going to happen :(
MakeBug
#4MakeBug Member Posts: 56  
posted: 10/25/2019 10:51:23 AM(UTC)
Hm, that makes me a bit worried. My license runs out in 53 days (still didn't get contacted by them yet, 14 days prior is a bit short if you increase the price of your product).
Anyone knows who I have to contact to ask for a quotation?
BullGates
#5BullGates Member Original PosterPosts: 244  
posted: 11/4/2019 6:40:30 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: CyberCitizen Go to Quoted Post

That won't help much, we don't use a lot of stuff since most of the features won't work in our environment because it's very closed and safe. I've asked LS to reconsider and create a moderate offer/profile for some of the features we use, and they didn't accepted.

As many mentioned, for large companies like the one I work for, it's impossible to spend additional budget since we have to report it at least one year before, so the normal for us is that we won't buy and stop using it.
BullGates
#6BullGates Member Original PosterPosts: 244  
posted: 11/4/2019 6:57:13 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: MakeBug Go to Quoted Post
Hm, that makes me a bit worried. My license runs out in 53 days (still didn't get contacted by them yet, 14 days prior is a bit short if you increase the price of your product).
Anyone knows who I have to contact to ask for a quotation?

You can ask for a quotation in the link https://www.lansweeper.com/pricing/
_JasonB_
#7_JasonB_ Member Posts: 11  
posted: 12/3/2019 5:28:03 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BullGates Go to Quoted Post

That won't help much, we don't use a lot of stuff since most of the features won't work in our environment because it's very closed and safe. I've asked LS to reconsider and create a moderate offer/profile for some of the features we use, and they didn't accepted.

As many mentioned, for large companies like the one I work for, it's impossible to spend additional budget since we have to report it at least one year before, so the normal for us is that we won't buy and stop using it.

Count me in with this crowd. We are in the process of asking for a quote but I have a strong suspicion that the price increase for us will be astronomical. If that is the case, we will look for another product. We have been using Lansweeper for years and it has been great. But we don't use or want the new features that are offered as part of the asset based licensing. Forcing it on us to justify a ridiculous price increase is a bad move.

I was made aware of the enterprise license being discontinued for new customers earlier this year, but have the email from Lansweeper sales stating that it would remain an option for existing customers. Seems like that they have reneged on this. Again, a bad move imo.
SolusMIB
#8SolusMIB Member Posts: 5  
posted: 1/28/2020 6:47:47 PM(UTC)
Just thought I would chime in and agree with everyone. We have been with Lansweeper for the last 8 years and we also use the helpdesk feature (very awesome!) However, we can't use anything they developed recently and therefore can't justify the outrageous cost increase they are forcing down our throat. I especially like how I was told my current license would never go away. So now I have to find something comparable....

PeterSchreutelkamp
#9PeterSchreutelkamp Member Posts: 3  
posted: 1/30/2020 1:36:40 PM(UTC)
This is pure extortion! We go from a price of EUR 150 per year to EUR 13.000 per year. For this year they grant a onetime discount down to EUR 3900, but for next year we are the real cash-cow.
I will start making a lot of noise on social media on this, and will ensure to generate a lot of negative publicity.
These guys are nuts!
The database is full of "assets" that are not of interest to us like photocameras and securitycams (connected to the wifi and thus they are 'discovered'), scanners, datacollection boxes, switches, network connected analyzers in our labs, etc. etc. - basically anything that connects to the network is an 'asset' costing EUR 1 per year. Do you know how many visitors, foreign colleagues, consultants, accountants etc. connect to our networks every year???
We can maybe remove these manually, but with every network scan run these devices are again 'discovered' and automatically added to the database - and this will immediately invalidate the license again. I will have a fulltime job keeping the database clean... Currently we have 3800 PCs connected, but we need a license for 13000 units!!!!!
There will be friendlier priced tools for inventory in the market. For now it will hurt a bit, but I will not bow for highway robbery!
BullGates
#10BullGates Member Original PosterPosts: 244  
posted: 1/30/2020 5:50:04 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PeterSchreutelkamp Go to Quoted Post
This is pure extortion! We go from a price of EUR 150 per year to EUR 13.000 per year. For this year they grant a onetime discount down to EUR 3900, but for next year we are the real cash-cow.
I will start making a lot of noise on social media on this, and will ensure to generate a lot of negative publicity.
These guys are nuts!
The database is full of "assets" that are not of interest to us like photocameras and securitycams (connected to the wifi and thus they are 'discovered'), scanners, datacollection boxes, switches, network connected analyzers in our labs, etc. etc. - basically anything that connects to the network is an 'asset' costing EUR 1 per year. Do you know how many visitors, foreign colleagues, consultants, accountants etc. connect to our networks every year???
We can maybe remove these manually, but with every network scan run these devices are again 'discovered' and automatically added to the database - and this will immediately invalidate the license again. I will have a fulltime job keeping the database clean... Currently we have 3800 PCs connected, but we need a license for 13000 units!!!!!
There will be friendlier priced tools for inventory in the market. For now it will hurt a bit, but I will not bow for highway robbery!

From what I understood, since I was close to the founder of Lansweeper and helped with many ideas, a Company bought Lansweeper and changed the conditions without anyone notice. Since other colleagues from the big Group I work for also use this and they had to renew the licenses, they were shocked about the new prices and they had no time to find/prepare an alternative. Luckily because Lansweeper was bought to the group by me, they alert me and I had the time to prepare something new and we will drop Lansweeper renewals for good if the conditions do not change. Also for a matter of principles I cannot accept this change.
pryan67
#11pryan67 Member Posts: 48  
posted: 1/30/2020 5:50:13 PM(UTC)
These guys are nuts!

You can exclude those assets from scanning, and therefore they won't count against your license count.

CyberCitizen
#12CyberCitizen Member Posts: 305  
posted: 1/31/2020 2:35:53 AM(UTC)
These guys are nuts!

Lansweeper has the ability to scan alot of assets. For us, we excluded everything except Windows Machines, Printers, Monitors.

Monitors don't count towards asset count anyway. We could have Lansweeper scan alot more, but the devices we need to report on are only those.

We have an asset management system. Lansweeper is used to complement this with additional information, software deployment etc.
danielm
#13danielm Member Posts: 174  
posted: 1/31/2020 4:51:13 AM(UTC)
But, if you use them, LOCATION assets count it seems.
So if you make many maps to show your assets which you are already paying for, you will pay again to put them on each map/location. we for example have a bunch of maps and really i should have more. but when you start adding up $ for each thing people ask why.
It's also a shame that really, you wont be able to use this system as an archival database either for old systems. It was nice to be able to keep "OLD" decomissioned or lost/broken equipment but now if i have to pay just to do that it goes out the window. asset limited is just so Old school, like back from the day when my server was 200mhz and could only process 100 devices or something. Now adays, just let the computer do what it wants.

Ah well. I kinda figured it wouldn't last forever. usually when there is anything good out there a larger company tries to buy it up and bury it. I figured eventually this would be either solarwinds or symantec .
I am starting to take a disliking to any non perpetual licensed software.

It's all a big shame.

ah the gold old days->
internet archive

old post details
CyberCitizen
#14CyberCitizen Member Posts: 305  
posted: 1/31/2020 4:59:45 AM(UTC)
Hasn't the location maps always counted as an asset? We have 3x maps and really don't reference them that much so I should really remove it, but we have enough assets spare so its not an issue for us.

That being said most software is changing licencing models as to many didn't survive with the buy once and unlimited updates.

I do miss the days of buying something and actually owning it now. Hate subscription services.
danielm
#15danielm Member Posts: 174  
posted: 1/31/2020 5:29:28 AM(UTC)
LOL ->
1 job position at lansweeper... legal counsel

if they are still looking, ya maybe that explains a few things.
Emma.W
#16Emma.W Member Administration Posts: 5  
posted: 1/31/2020 4:01:48 PM(UTC)
Hi, we understand that some of you would like to remain on your current legacy licenses. However, offering a price-protected and unlimited asset license that also includes all future features and free support, was simply not sustainable.
In order for Lansweeper to continue to thrive and support our rapidly growing global userbase we have to evolve. The changes to our pricing were made to ensure that Lansweeper can continue to be that crucial single source of IT asset data while representing outstanding value for money.
New features are added every 6 months and we are always trying to add features that are highly requested by customers. Our development team has tripled in the last year and we are continually growing as a business across the globe.

If you still have other questions I am very happy to help you.

Originally Posted by: SolusMIB Go to Quoted Post
Just thought I would chime in and agree with everyone. We have been with Lansweeper for the last 8 years and we also use the helpdesk feature (very awesome!) However, we can't use anything they developed recently and therefore can't justify the outrageous cost increase they are forcing down our throat. I especially like how I was told my current license would never go away. So now I have to find something comparable....

You mentioned that some of the features are not relevant to yourself, if you have any requests I would be more than happy to pass them on internally and add them to our wish list.

Hasn't the location maps always counted as an asset?

Just to clarify here, all assets that are shown in the assets overview with the exception of Monitors are counted towards your license limit. So yes, this has always included location maps or manually created assets.
bruggles
#17bruggles Member Posts: 6  
posted: 1/31/2020 7:40:08 PM(UTC)
Large Price Increase - We also are concerned on the large increase in the new price model and we are looking at other products. The Tech Support is limited to only email and not very good and they only have staff in Belgium which makes it more difficult to reach anyone. We did purchase Help Desk too and the the documentation on setup is very weak and it seems like an add in that they are not really focused on. I think the new pricing could be reexamined by Lansweeper.
Lanswiffer
#18Lanswiffer Member Posts: 6  
posted: 2/3/2020 4:56:12 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Emma.W Go to Quoted Post
Hi, we understand that some of you would like to remain on your current legacy licenses. However, offering a price-protected and unlimited asset license that also includes all future features and free support, was simply not sustainable.
In order for Lansweeper to continue to thrive and support our rapidly growing global userbase we have to evolve. The changes to our pricing were made to ensure that Lansweeper can continue to be that crucial single source of IT asset data while representing outstanding value for money.
New features are added every 6 months and we are always trying to add features that are highly requested by customers. Our development team has tripled in the last year and we are continually growing as a business across the globe.

If you still have other questions I am very happy to help you.

Originally Posted by: SolusMIB Go to Quoted Post

You mentioned that some of the features are not relevant to yourself, if you have any requests I would be more than happy to pass them on internally and add them to our wish list.

Hasn't the location maps always counted as an asset?

Just to clarify here, all assets that are shown in the assets overview with the exception of Monitors are counted towards your license limit. So yes, this has always included location maps or manually created assets.

I don't think anyone would argue that some of the original pricing was not really sustainable, but neither is burning longstanding customers. We may be in the minority, but most of the features released over the past couple years have been almost of no value for us and we're still waiting for help desk improvements. If the new improvements are good for the marketplace, then they should pay for themselves and new customers should be the ones to foot the bill.
Cindy.C
#19Cindy.C Member Administration Posts: 22  
posted: 2/4/2020 12:29:46 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: bruggles Go to Quoted Post
The Tech Support is limited to only email and not very good and they only have staff in Belgium which makes it more difficult to reach anyone.

We can indeed see that you have reached out to our tech support team during our company kick-off. Unfortunately, during this kick-off our replies were delayed, as was also indicated in our auto-reply. We did reach out to you nevertheless, but we never received any reply, as such, could it be that our emails were classified as spam?

Originally Posted by: bruggles Go to Quoted Post
We did purchase Help Desk too and the the documentation on setup is very weak and it seems like an add in that they are not really focused on. I think the new pricing could be reexamined by Lansweeper.

We will be recruiting more people for our knowledge base team in 2020, to ensure our documentation is kept up to date and to ensure that the documentation is expanded where needed.

mcbeathb
#20mcbeathb Member Posts: 1  
posted: 2/19/2020 4:02:14 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Emma.W Go to Quoted Post

Just another longtime user throwing in my 2 cents. Been with Lansweeper going on 8 years or so now. We are also looking for alternatives due to the spike in price and will be dropping Lansweeper this summer once our license runs out. We love Lansweeper, but like many others have said, we do not use ANY of these newer features, nor care to.

I understand the change in pricing model in order to scale, but why not offer a tiered pricing plan. Many subscription based services do this. This way for those customers that are not needing or wanting all the extra bells and whistles, you have a solution for them. It just really seems like a missed opportunity to me. I hope you guys figure it out, but I fear that its going to be at the cost of shooting yourself in the foot first.

Maybe I'll see ya around,

Soon to be previous customer.

nb005
#21nb005 Member Posts: 3  
posted: 2/21/2020 10:44:38 AM(UTC)
I like Lansweeper, it is a good tool.

But, if I need to renew my license and the price explodes, I wont renew and look for something else.
BullGates
#22BullGates Member Original PosterPosts: 244  
posted: 2/21/2020 7:30:32 PM(UTC)
Hello Emma, that's quite new to me that you are willing to listen to us. I've sent emails to the support explaining that we don't use most of the features since our environment is very security restricted and I had no success. So over the last months I've evaluated all the products and I agree that you know that you have an unique product, so without any information to your costumers you've treated them like putting them against a wall. Why? Because if I was not prepared to a cost increase of more then 3000%, and only noticing the increase 1 month before the renewal, most of the users have to renew and agree with the cost increase, they have no option.

Luckily I had several colleagues that I've advised in the past to use LS > so I also may say that I've helped you grow a lot, and he told me about the huge price increase. Now I have 2 more months until the supposed renewal and I've decided it was time to put an end on it. Decision was taken, another product was evaluated and it's quite different from LS in all the aspects but meet most of our requirements, including privacy for the users where LS made us cross the line. Maybe I will develop a small client to feed the database with some missing information from the computers but I can say bye bye to Lansweeper now.

It's still a great product but sorry, I do not appreciate at all how you've deal with this price increase.

All the best.

Active Discussions

Lansweeper Changes in the licensing model
by  BullGates   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 7:30:32 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper About Memory Changes
by  fjca  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 5:51:17 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Wildcard in file scanning to get all files in a directory?
by  RKCar   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 4:03:43 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Wishlist is dead, no responses from LS staff.
by  RobertB  
Last post: Today at 3:08:12 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Deploy installer packages not working any more
by  richv   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 3:06:19 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper File Scanning
by  RKCar  
Last post: Today at 2:22:54 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper HP Warranty scan - broken for some products
by  zaty   Go to last post Go to first unread