Notification

Icon
Error

Scanning Network Switches

Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:13:30 PM(UTC)
SPedraza

SPedraza

Member Original PosterPosts: 7
Hello everyone,

I am unable to scan for network switches. I have tried with the Lansweeper Device Tester and the SNMP scans just fine however, when I scan for switches it doesn't find anything. I have also tried scanning by IP range and it doesn't find it either. I do not have network switches excluded.

Any suggestions?
PeterG
#1PeterG Member Posts: 104  
posted: 12/26/2019 9:18:10 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: SPedraza Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,

I am unable to scan for network switches. I have tried with the Lansweeper Device Tester and the SNMP scans just fine however, when I scan for switches it doesn't find anything. I have also tried scanning by IP range and it doesn't find it either. I do not have network switches excluded.

Any suggestions?

make sure your scanning credentials are mapped to IP ranges under Scanning/Credentials
GulfMarco
#2GulfMarco Member Posts: 8  
posted: 12/28/2019 6:45:31 AM(UTC)
Do the switches show up by IP as an asset? Could be that they show up, as say webserver type, rather than switch - if so, edit the asset and change the ASSET TYPE to SWITCH.
SPedraza
#3SPedraza Member Original PosterPosts: 7  
posted: 1/5/2020 5:10:27 AM(UTC)
Thank you both for your replies,

My first issue was LastPass overwriting my mapped credentials. I disabled the option to auto-fill and it immediately picket up the switch. Now the next issue is that the switch is being scanned as webserver. I did do what GulfMarco suggested with no luck, it is not showing much information other than the switch being online and the network range where the switch belongs.
I found this comment from Raylgood where apparently there is a known issue with HP/Aruba switches. All my switches are HP or Aruba, any suggestions? Here's the post I found: https://www.lansweeper.c...orce-SNMP.aspx#post61699

Thank you,
Peter.Riederer
#4Peter.Riederer Member Posts: 14  
posted: 1/14/2020 1:27:15 PM(UTC)
Put the SNMP OID of the Switch in the Configuration/AssetMapping/ Page and set the type to Switch.
You should get the OID with the SNMP Tester.

Also make sure your switch allows SNMP Access or put your Lansweeper Server in the Allow list for Public Community , usually there would be log-events on the switch if the server is not allowed to scan the switch.

which SNMP Version do you use? and do you use Public community or any other?
when scanning an ip-range make sure the option "save pinged ips" is enabled.

btw: when you successfully can scan the switch with the device-tester then lansweeper should be able to do it as well.

what happens when you manually add the assett as a switch with IP and hit rescan assett button?

Active Discussions

Lansweeper Lansweeper Webserver Error
by  Bruce.B   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 3:19:01 AM(UTC)
Lansweeper LsAgent install issue
by  Susan.A  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Yesterday at 8:46:19 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Is a Common Table Expression possible?
by  PatrickWolf   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Yesterday at 6:52:24 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Tracking assets like docking station, mouse and keyboards
by  cycleheat  
Last post: Yesterday at 5:00:39 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Update to V. 7.2.107.4
by  cycleheat   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Yesterday at 4:57:38 PM(UTC)
Lansweeper Windows Defender AV
by  Rob B