cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kuku1122
Engaged Sweeper
Hi
I have some switches and network devices that I manage VIA web or SSH
I have them all with SNMP enabled and configured for lansweeper.
but lansweeper insists on web or ssh scan since it's open and available for the devices, it will not scan VIA SNMP
I tried to "No SSH" with no luck...and I can't disable web or SSH for them
Web scan does not exist but lansweeper in stuck with many devices as "eHTTP" "lighttpd" or just "webserver" under Model - therefore will not do SNMP

How can manually configure lansweeper to scan a device VIA SNMP or in general "Help" lansweeper with the scan methods when it tries to scan in a method not appropriate for a device?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
stephen_rayl
Engaged Sweeper
I have fixed our issue. I found an old post that said to enter this in the switch CLI:

snmp-server reponse-source <ipaddress of the switch which is used for snmp queries>

https://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst9143_Switch--HP-V1910-24G----Web-Server.aspx#post36234

Very odd that I have other switches that do not need this. And still a mystery as to how it responds to the devicetester.exe poll but not to the scanning engine.

Edit: Better yet, add this line which can be copied to other switches:

snmp-server response-source dst-ip-of-request
ahartig
Engaged Sweeper
Do you have an update?

We have quite a few network devices, that while snmp is working correctly, are giving us ssh credential errors (which is fine, because we don't have ssh configured) only.

Regards,
Andreas
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
If the device tester can see it then in theory Lansweeper should as well. In practice, the device tester isn't 100% identical to how Lansweeper works. So in rare situations, the device tester might pick something up that Lansweeper doesn't.

We are still working on trying to find a fix for this issue. But your issue is indeed a rare one specific to a very small amount of devices.
stephen_rayl
Engaged Sweeper
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm fighting this with a few of my HP switches. I think it started after a Lansweeper update but I'm not sure which version it was. I thought it had to do with a specific firmware, but I brought up a switch in the lab, got it to the firmware of the problem switches and was able to poll it just fine. Device Tester polls the problem switches but Lansweeper will not pull the info. The Debug log shows:

2019-10-22 11:24:17,279 [SCAN_192.168.44.254] INFO LOGSNMP DEBUG Scanning Ver1 for 192.168.44.254 with SNMP-Public (SNMP Community String): failed
2019-10-22 11:24:17,294 [SCAN_192.168.44.254] INFO LOGSNMP DEBUG Scanning Ver2 for 192.168.44.254 with SNMP-Private (SNMP Community String)
2019-10-22 11:24:17,310 [SCAN_192.168.44.254] INFO LOGSNMP DEBUG Skipping Custom OID scan due to outdated unlimited asset license...
2019-10-22 11:24:17,404 [SCAN_192.168.44.254] INFO 192.168.44.254\1 27084 192.168.44.254 Rescan AssetId: 27084 LOGSNMP DEBUG Object OID could not be retrieved.
2019-10-22 11:24:17,404 [SCAN_192.168.44.254] INFO LOGSNMP DEBUG Scanning Ver2 for 192.168.44.254 with SNMP-Private (SNMP Community String): failed
2019-10-22 11:24:17,404 [SCAN_192.168.44.254] INFO LOGSNMP DEBUG Scanning Ver1 for 192.168.44.254 with SNMP-Private (SNMP Community String)
2019-10-22 11:24:17,419 [SCAN_192.168.44.254] INFO LOGSNMP DEBUG Skipping Custom OID scan due to outdated unlimited asset license...

So I opened a case and now they say there is a known issue with HP/Aruba switches with specific firmware and/or configuration and since they don't have a device they probably won't be able to find the cause. If device tester can see the OID, switch model and firmware, then why can't Lansweeper?
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Might be best to send an email to support then.

Another way of verifying that SNMP isn't used is by checking whether the asset's page contains an OID. No OID means no SNMP was used.
Anything more than that will require debug options to be enabled to see that scanning procedure steps and where/why it goes wrong.
kuku1122
Engaged Sweeper
kuku1122 wrote:
Hi
I have some switches and network devices that I manage VIA web or SSH
I have them all with SNMP enabled and configured for lansweeper.
but lansweeper insists on web or ssh scan since it's open and available for the devices, it will not scan VIA SNMP
I tried to "No SSH" with no luck...and I can't disable web or SSH for them
Web scan does not exist but lansweeper in stuck with many devices as "eHTTP" "lighttpd" or just "webserver" under Model - therefore will not do SNMP

How can manually configure lansweeper to scan a device VIA SNMP or in general "Help" lansweeper with the scan methods when it tries to scan in a method not appropriate for a device?

Thanks!

Thanks guys
SNMP is enabled and working for the devices device tester and also tested with 3rd party snmp tester
LS still will not scan via SNMP
😞
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Yeah, I have access points that didn't have the SNMP template applied correctly, they will be lighthttp or whatever you mentioned - so what I did was selected all of them in the assets page, did a mass edit, marked them as access points, until I got the network team to fix their SNMP for them. Then I rescanned them and they updated accordingly.

The way I figured that out, is on the page for the asset, I click the action (I get them confused - there are two actions - test connection and device tester I think - which I personally think they need to rename)... and then I put in the SNMP string and test... I got 'SNMP disabled or wrong community'

In my case, I knew that all the devices weren't locked down to only certain subnets or IP addresses to allow SNMP, so I tested from my laptop... however, the best thing to do is to pull up the program from the lansweeper server and test, because that's what's going to be doing the SNMP connections.

Hope that helps
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper is designed to use data from the most extensive protocol open. If both SNMP and HTTP are open on a network device, it should automatically use SNMP since it provides much more data.

it's best you do as Jocob suggested and check whether SNMP actually returns data.
andeporter
Engaged Sweeper II
Go to Scanning >> Scanning Credentials and add an SNMP credential that you can then map (Credential Mapping) to the specific devices you are attempting to scan w/ SNMP.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now