cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skilley80
Engaged Sweeper
Another duplicate asset question...

I have one virtual machine that started showing up twice under assets. I've tried deleting both several times and both keep showing up.

1 chooses the MAC address for whatever weird reason in the AssetUnique field in tblAssets
1 chooses the normal domain\computername\1 format that all other computers use

Domain, userdomain, fqdn, ip address, assetname, etc all match.

Anyone have a clue why this happens and how to fix it?
I'm using the latest version v. 7.2.100.23
13 REPLIES 13
jstrong71
Engaged Sweeper II
I compared all the duplicated assets to our SRM systems and I found no evidence that this is the case. As some of the machines were in SRM (but very very few) and a large amount were not. In our test environment, I have removed all the servers with duplicate names, excluded the IP ranges of our ESX servers from being scanned, and ill see what we have after a full scan. Stay tuned.
nnewton
Engaged Sweeper III
I've found a workaround that seems to be working for me. My duplicates are caused by LANSweeper detecting standby machines in our VMWare SRM environment. I cannot exclude the ESX hosts for these machines as those hosts run our non-prod environment when not in DR.

I have found that one record will regularly scan, but the other will not, even though I have the schedules to scan everything every week.

The "good" machine will be the new duplicate in the production environment and have a last seen date within the last couple of days, the "bad" machine will be the original record, and will be detecting the standby machine, but the last seen will be just before the first seen of the new duplicate.

In order to separate these machines out of reports and our CMDB import (and possibly exclude from scheduled scans?), I have created a new status of "SRM Standby" and assigned all the "bad" machines to it. This keeps the original record so if LANSweeper ever fixes this I can merge the records back together.

Note that you will not be able to change the status in the UI, as LANSweeper complains that there is a duplicate name, you will have to use SQL. This is what I am using:

UPDATE tblAssetCustom SET tblAssetCustom.State = 11, tblAssetCustom.Lastchanged = Getdate() WHERE tblAssetCustom.AssetID = '00000';

I have also recommended to our architects and asset management planning team that we should investigate what alternative products we could be using.
jstrong71
Engaged Sweeper II
I upgraded to the latest version yesterday. (Made a backup image and of the SQL DB first - Thank goodness) and the same problem. Rolled back to version 7.1.X.X We wont be upgrading to any latest versions until Lansweeper gets this fixed. I am actually gonna start researching a replacement product as well.
nnewton
Engaged Sweeper III
LANSweeper support says they don't have an SRM environment to test on and will not give me the ticket number for the bug. So unfortunately it doesn't look like we are going to get a resolution anytime soon.

I still have to follow up with them on some troubleshooting requests they made last year, but I don't hold out much hope.
GlenS
Engaged Sweeper
I'm having the same problem with SRM 'stub' machines showing up as duplicates. But it seems to stop seeing my live boxes, and sees the DR copy instead. At the moment I think I'll have to stop scanning my DR ESX hosts which is a pain.....
nnewton
Engaged Sweeper III
For anyone seeing this on VMWare, are you using SRM?

I am seeing a Windows machine duplication issue, but it only seems to be affecting machines with standby SRM replicas. One LANSweeper asset is the main live production one and the other is the standby.
jstrong71
Engaged Sweeper II
We updated our TEST system to 7.2.105.2 I ended up deleting all the assets and waiting until the next day to scan. With the same results. Multiple duplicates. I will open up a issues with support.

NicholeKaligian
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
There were some issues with duplicate assets in the earlier 7.2 builds, most are resolved in our latest 7.2.105.2 build however. If you've updated to the latest version it's possible you'll still need to delete some duplicates manually, however if the issue does persist I'd recommend reaching out to support so they can look into this.
jstrong71
Engaged Sweeper II
We are seeing the same issue right after updating to the latest release. All of them are Virtual running in VMWare and all of them appear to only be Windows OS. I have tried deleting both and rescanning. They both re-appear. This is very frustrating. We do scan AD as well as certain IP ranges.