Notification

Icon
Error

Duplicate Asset 1 Mac address, 1 domain\computer\1

Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 10:36:26 PM(UTC)
Kilroy

Kilroy

Member Original PosterPosts: 2
Another duplicate asset question...

I have one virtual machine that started showing up twice under assets. I've tried deleting both several times and both keep showing up.

1 chooses the MAC address for whatever weird reason in the AssetUnique field in tblAssets
1 chooses the normal domain\computername\1 format that all other computers use

Domain, userdomain, fqdn, ip address, assetname, etc all match.

Anyone have a clue why this happens and how to fix it?
I'm using the latest version v. 7.2.100.23
moug
#1moug Member Posts: 3  
posted: 11/1/2019 7:53:35 PM(UTC)
In a possibly similar problem, I keep getting comments generated on virtual machines that read "Renamed [MAC address] to [domain\machinename]". Why is this happening and how can I prevent it?
Esben.D
#2Esben.D Member Administration Posts: 1,982  
posted: 11/4/2019 4:38:34 PM(UTC)
Are these Hyper-V machines by any chance?

Also, its best to report these to support so they can be added to the related development tasks.
Jack of All Trades
#3Jack of All Trades Member Posts: 6  
posted: 11/7/2019 11:50:24 AM(UTC)
I have the same problem for a long time. It's really annoying and their customer support basically told me they know about this issue and will be fixed in one of the feature releases - why is this even in production product that lot of people are paying, I have no idea, but I'm definitely disappointed.

edit: Included answer I've got in mail.
Quote:

The large number of merging comments is a known issue in the current Lansweeper version and a fix should be included in one of our next releases. We recommend checking our changelog for bug ID: LAN-4083 when a new version is released to make sure this fix is included. You can enable the update check in the Lansweeper web console under Configuration\Your Lansweeper License to be notified of any new releases. You can find our changelog here: https://www.lansweeper.com/changelog.aspx

I also have a lot of assets - HyperV VM's that are stucked in queue for days!
Kilroy
#4Kilroy Member Original PosterPosts: 2  
posted: 11/7/2019 3:26:00 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Esben.D Go to Quoted Post
Are these Hyper-V machines by any chance?

Also, its best to report these to support so they can be added to the related development tasks.

Yes, Hyper-V
jstrong71
#5jstrong71 Member Posts: 9  
posted: 11/12/2019 9:16:58 PM(UTC)
We are seeing the same issue right after updating to the latest release. All of them are Virtual running in VMWare and all of them appear to only be Windows OS. I have tried deleting both and rescanning. They both re-appear. This is very frustrating. We do scan AD as well as certain IP ranges.
Ryan.G
#6Ryan.G Member Administration Posts: 24  
posted: 11/14/2019 9:17:30 AM(UTC)
There were some issues with duplicate assets in the earlier 7.2 builds, most are resolved in our latest 7.2.105.2 build however. If you've updated to the latest version it's possible you'll still need to delete some duplicates manually, however if the issue does persist I'd recommend reaching out to support so they can look into this.
jstrong71
#7jstrong71 Member Posts: 9  
posted: 11/14/2019 5:48:43 PM(UTC)
We updated our TEST system to 7.2.105.2 I ended up deleting all the assets and waiting until the next day to scan. With the same results. Multiple duplicates. I will open up a issues with support.

nnewton
#8nnewton Member Posts: 15  
posted: 12/11/2019 4:16:09 AM(UTC)
For anyone seeing this on VMWare, are you using SRM?

I am seeing a Windows machine duplication issue, but it only seems to be affecting machines with standby SRM replicas. One LANSweeper asset is the main live production one and the other is the standby.
GlenS
#9GlenS Member Posts: 1  
posted: 1/16/2020 10:14:30 AM(UTC)
I'm having the same problem with SRM 'stub' machines showing up as duplicates. But it seems to stop seeing my live boxes, and sees the DR copy instead. At the moment I think I'll have to stop scanning my DR ESX hosts which is a pain.....d'oh!
nnewton
#10nnewton Member Posts: 15  
posted: 1/17/2020 1:59:17 AM(UTC)
LANSweeper support says they don't have an SRM environment to test on and will not give me the ticket number for the bug. So unfortunately it doesn't look like we are going to get a resolution anytime soon.

I still have to follow up with them on some troubleshooting requests they made last year, but I don't hold out much hope.
jstrong71
#11jstrong71 Member Posts: 9  
posted: 2/4/2020 4:26:26 PM(UTC)
I upgraded to the latest version yesterday. (Made a backup image and of the SQL DB first - Thank goodness) and the same problem. Rolled back to version 7.1.X.X We wont be upgrading to any latest versions until Lansweeper gets this fixed. I am actually gonna start researching a replacement product as well. Brick wall
nnewton
#12nnewton Member Posts: 15  
posted: 2/5/2020 1:33:56 AM(UTC)
I've found a workaround that seems to be working for me. My duplicates are caused by LANSweeper detecting standby machines in our VMWare SRM environment. I cannot exclude the ESX hosts for these machines as those hosts run our non-prod environment when not in DR.

I have found that one record will regularly scan, but the other will not, even though I have the schedules to scan everything every week.

The "good" machine will be the new duplicate in the production environment and have a last seen date within the last couple of days, the "bad" machine will be the original record, and will be detecting the standby machine, but the last seen will be just before the first seen of the new duplicate.

In order to separate these machines out of reports and our CMDB import (and possibly exclude from scheduled scans?), I have created a new status of "SRM Standby" and assigned all the "bad" machines to it. This keeps the original record so if LANSweeper ever fixes this I can merge the records back together.

Note that you will not be able to change the status in the UI, as LANSweeper complains that there is a duplicate name, you will have to use SQL. This is what I am using:

Code:

UPDATE tblAssetCustom SET tblAssetCustom.State = 11, tblAssetCustom.Lastchanged = Getdate() WHERE tblAssetCustom.AssetID = '00000';

I have also recommended to our architects and asset management planning team that we should investigate what alternative products we could be using.
jstrong71
#13jstrong71 Member Posts: 9  
posted: 2/5/2020 11:38:33 PM(UTC)
I compared all the duplicated assets to our SRM systems and I found no evidence that this is the case. As some of the machines were in SRM (but very very few) and a large amount were not. In our test environment, I have removed all the servers with duplicate names, excluded the IP ranges of our ESX servers from being scanned, and ill see what we have after a full scan. Stay tuned. Boo hoo!

Active Discussions

Installer Windows 10 Upgrade
by  CyberCitizen   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: Today at 1:07:47 AM(UTC)
Installer Installer - Microsoft Office
by  Florian_Eigsi  
Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 6/29/2020 3:33:20 PM(UTC)
Installer Firefox ESR 68.8.0 MSI Installer
by  PLSJohnJohn  
Last post: 5/11/2020 4:33:50 PM(UTC)
Installer Update Chrome browser with GoogleUpdate.exe ?
by  Inna Ptushkina   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 5/4/2020 8:39:29 PM(UTC)
Installer Bios Update for Dell all in one
by  Florian_Eigsi  
Last post: 4/2/2020 11:36:43 AM(UTC)
Installer Uninstall - Adobe Acrobat 9x
by  palemmo   Go to last post Go to first unread
Last post: 3/25/2020 7:25:05 PM(UTC)
Installer OneDrive Silent Install
by  Steven.C