cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
it9
Engaged Sweeper II
Hi there,

could anyone help me with this? After a recent update, Lansweeper sometime shows MAC address instead of the assets name. Like this:

How can I resolve it? It's really annoying.

edit:
I've found out that if I edit the asset (but wont change anything) and just hit "save" it will change the name, but I have this problem with multiple assets, like 20+ so I it would be really time consuming doing all this item by item.

also sorry my english. (=
6 REPLIES 6
crashff
Champion Sweeper
<EMAILED TO SUPPORT>

I am experiencing the same issue, where assets will occasionally display their MAC address instead of asset name, and clicking on ‘Edit Asset’ and then saving again will temporarily correct the issue temporarily.

I have also noted that If I attempt to manually change the Asset Name (tblAssets.AssetName), the name will change, but then revert back after the next scan cycle.

I think I may have found a contributing factor to the issue linked in your support forums.

I ran the following report:
Select Top 1000000 tblAssets.AssetID As AssetID1,
tblAssets.AssetUnique As AssetUnique1,
tblAssets.AssetName,
tblAssets.FQDN,
tblAssets.AssetNameLock,
tblAssets.Assettype,
tblAssets.AssetTypeLock
From tblAssets
Where tblAssets.Assettype = -1

ALL of the problem assets have the field <tblAssets.AssetUnique> showing the MAC instead of the correct AssetUnique value. This includes machines here the Asset Name would revert back to a previous value after updating

The normal Assetunique value for a computer is "<Domain>\<DNSName>\1”, but these would all show the MAC instead. On a VM, this is even worse, because the MAC is dynamic, so every time it changed, a new asset entry is generated, with the new MAC as the AssetUnique value.

I have tested this by deleting two specific assets that listed MAC addresses for the AssetUnique field; and then re-scanned them based on their DNS name instead of IP address.

The Asset entry was recreated with a correct AssetUnique field, and curiously, ALL the manually entered data on the previous incorrect entry was carried over.

I have also noticed that the 'broken' assets that were deleted, and then re-scanned will now end up with null values in AssetTypeLock and AssetNameLock, where normally the value will be 1 or 0 (true/false)

EDIT: Note, manually changing the AssetUnique value to anything other than the autogenerated value (even if the autogenerated one is wrong, and the manual correct is right) breaks the asset entry so it cannot be found through standard menus or the search function. Reports and Manual group assignments will still find it though.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
In that case get in touch with our support team to let them take a look.
aplrich
Engaged Sweeper III
I've installed the update but the issue is still ongoing.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
We just released another update which might fix the issue. Most likely this is a side effect of another issue.

You can download it here: https://www.lansweeper.com/update-lansweeper/
aplrich
Engaged Sweeper III
I'm having this same issue so it's not an isolated incident.

Seems to have started since the upgrade to 7.2
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
It is best you send this to our support team, they can take a look at the potential cause and forward that to the development team.

Its good to hear though that there is a way to fix it, even if it is manual work for now.