cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rtaylor
Engaged Sweeper II
I currently have Lansweeper set to mark assets it doesn't see in 14 days as Non-Active, and delete them if non-active more than 180 days. It will mark it active if it sees it again before 180 days, this works well.

Question 1: We often receive equipment in that won't be deployed for some time. If we scan it in and mark it as In Storage, does that keep the asset from being deleted in 180 days? Does the automatic cleanup only occur on assets marked Non-active? Will it delete anything marked as in Storage or any other state?

Question 2: When we scan in a computer that is not yet deployed, we enter the serial number as the asset name. When we deploy the computer it will get named according to our naming scheme. Will Lansweeper recognize that it already knows about this asset and just update the name when it scans it, or will it need manually updated?

Question 2A: If it recognizes that it is the same asset, will it update the state from In Storage to Active?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
rtaylor
Engaged Sweeper II
Thank you, we'll give it a try.
roberto_m
Engaged Sweeper III
I think I use Lansweeper the same way as you. So what I do for new assets:

- Windows, I fill the name of the asset as it will be when deployed + the domain name (the combination of both is the UID in Lansweeper).
- For Apple Mac, and other non-windows assets, I fill in the MAC address (which is the UID for non-windows devices). For MacBooks, this information is already available in the box, which makes the work much easier.
rtaylor
Engaged Sweeper II
OK, thank you for the response.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Q1: The database cleanup options use the specific states they mention. So for deleting non-active assets, they will only delete assets with the non-active state.

Q2: If you only add serial number and asset name, no.
The best thing to do is make sure the data to generate the unique identifier is filled in correctly. Meaning computer name and domain. You can find more about it here: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/how-lansweeper-uniquely-identifies-assets/

Alternatively, Lansweeper will check multiple fields to check if an asset was renamed. So if you complete those fields, it should also merge that assets once it gets scanned. More info about that here: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/windows-rename-detection/

Q2A: I think it will stay in the storage stage, as it updates that asset. The cleanup option to make assets active again only works on the non-active asset state.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now