cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhammond
Champion Sweeper
I received a notification that my scanning license asset limit is currently at 95%. So I am beginning the daunting task of trying to find where assets are being counted, if there are any duplicates, whether I can exclude them, etc.

How does LS ACTUALLY count assets? I've added the numbers up in different reports - Asset Count from Dashboard, IP ranged reports and Location-based reports - and nothing is coming close to the number my scanning server is reporting. The website is pretty vague on description - it boils down to saying "it counts everything but monitors", which really isn't very helpful.

Will the software actually OBEY the exclusion list? I have a few subnets excluded on our network (we have PLC/HMI devices in our manufacturing plant that aren't IT devices, but require a network interface to function) and I have also excluded the random devices like IOS, Android, iPad, iPod ....etc. Doing this has only knocked down my count by a small handful.

What ELSE should I be looking for? Is there some sort of report (other than that of the license page) that can breakdown or break out what is being counted?

I apologize if I placed this in the wrong location, the General Questions area - it wasn't meant to be a 'report' question, but mostly a query to you all as to what else I should be looking for to bring down my asset count.....
10 REPLIES 10
rasldasl
Engaged Sweeper III
Cripple.Zero wrote:
I received a notification that my scanning license asset limit is currently at 95%. So I am beginning the daunting task of trying to find where assets are being counted, if there are any duplicates, whether I can exclude them, etc.

How does LS ACTUALLY count assets? I've added the numbers up in different reports - Asset Count from Dashboard, IP ranged reports and Location-based reports - and nothing is coming close to the number my scanning server is reporting. The website is pretty vague on description - it boils down to saying "it counts everything but monitors", which really isn't very helpful.

Will the software actually OBEY the exclusion list? I have a few subnets excluded on our network (we have PLC/HMI devices in our manufacturing plant that aren't IT devices, but require a network interface to function) and I have also excluded the random devices like IOS, Android, iPad, iPod ....etc. Doing this has only knocked down my count by a small handful.

What ELSE should I be looking for? Is there some sort of report (other than that of the license page) that can breakdown or break out what is being counted?

I apologize if I placed this in the wrong location, the General Questions area - it wasn't meant to be a 'report' question, but mostly a query to you all as to what else I should be looking for to bring down my asset count.....

We have only Windows computers and monitors. Monitors are not counted. My license count is essentially the "All Assets" report filtered on Type "windows".