cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acstanley
Engaged Sweeper
Hi,

I have a network of around 400 devices, Windows computers, cameras, servers, switches etc.

Lansweeper finds the vast majority of the network without any problem, but seems to not find some switches.

For example we have 15 Netgear GS110TP's but only 11 are detected by Lansweeper (all on the same subnet, e.g. 10.0.0.5 detected but 10.0.0.20 not detected). Searching for 10.0.0.20 brings up no results, even after repeatedly scanning the subnet.

Is there any reason why Lansweeper could fail to detect certain specific switches even though they are the same model?

Thank you in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
If you tick Save Pinged IP for your IP ranges, Lansweeper will create an asset for any device that responds to a ping. Whether or not data can be pulled from the device depends not on the device model, but on the ports/protocols the device has open.

Network devices like switches are preferably scanned using SNMP, as this is the protocol that most devices support and that will return the most data. I recommend that you check your switch documentation and settings to ensure that SNMP is enabled and that you have the correct SNMP credential details. You can then set up an SNMP scan in Lansweeper by following these instructions: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/how-to-scan-a-network-device/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
acstanley
Engaged Sweeper
It would seem that the GS108PE doesn't support SNMP (as I want to be able to see which devices are connected to the switch), but saving the IPs will be helpful for anyone else who simply wants to track assets.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
If you tick Save Pinged IP for your IP ranges, Lansweeper will create an asset for any device that responds to a ping. Whether or not data can be pulled from the device depends not on the device model, but on the ports/protocols the device has open.

Network devices like switches are preferably scanned using SNMP, as this is the protocol that most devices support and that will return the most data. I recommend that you check your switch documentation and settings to ensure that SNMP is enabled and that you have the correct SNMP credential details. You can then set up an SNMP scan in Lansweeper by following these instructions: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/how-to-scan-a-network-device/
acstanley
Engaged Sweeper
I've just found out what the issue is, the non-found switches in fact aren't GS110TPs, but GS108PEs (and none of the GS108PEs on the network show on Lansweeper).

I assume Lansweeper does not support scanning GS108PEs?